Jul 9, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
Neil Walker hasn’t appeared in a game since July 6 because of discomfort in his right oblique. And he won’t be returning before the All-Star break.
According to the Pirates’ official team Twitter feed, the second baseman was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Tuesday evening and infielder Josh Harrison was recalled from Triple-A Indianapolis to take his place on the active 25-man roster.
Walker, a native of the Pittsburgh suburbs, has registered a .244/.347/.384 batting line, six homers and 26 RBI in 72 games this season for the Bucs, who trail the Cardinals by a half-game in the National League Central. The 27-year-old hit .280/.342/.426 with 14 homers and 69 RBI in 129 games last season.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17