Jul 9, 2013, 5:46 PM EDT
Ryan Braun returns to the Brewers’ lineup tonight after missing a month with a thumb injury and he’s back just in time for this bombshell report from ESPN.com saying that MLB plans to suspend Braun, along with Alex Rodriguez and as many as 20 other players.
According to T.J. Quinn and Mike Fish from “Outside The Lines” Braun “refused to answer questions during a recent meeting with Major League Baseball” and suspensions are expected “sometime after next week’s All-Star break.”
Quinn and Fish quote sources saying that 100-game suspensions are being considered even though that’s the standard second-time offender penalty and neither Braun nor Rodriguez have served a suspension previously. The argument being made is that lying is viewed as the second offense.
Reports of MLB wanting to suspend 20 players first surfaced via Quinn and Fish back on June 4, but have mostly been dormant since then. During that time Biogensis director Tony Bosch was expected to meet with MLB officials and reveal details, leading to the hammer that’s apparently about to drop.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)