Jul 9, 2013, 11:07 AM EDT
A couple of weeks ago we learned that there was a fuss of sorts — something of a minor ruckus — involving Cardinals pitchers and grounds crew members putting a cross on the mound at Busch Stadium. People were offended, see, because, I dunno, it turned them into Christians against their will or something.
Now, as a result of the outrage, the Cardinals have removed the cross and asked players and grounds crew not to put it there anymore.
I’m a big annoying agnostic who is among the first to get irked when religion and government start to become intertwined, but I fail to see how this could have truly bothered anyone. It was a step up from a guy wearing a crucifix or looking to the heavens after doing something good on the playing field. No one was asking anyone else to adopt any beliefs. No one else’s beliefs or freedoms were impinged. Someone just got annoyed at someone else’s thing and decided to be a pain about it.
Hope it made them feel better.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)