Jul 9, 2013, 11:07 AM EST
A couple of weeks ago we learned that there was a fuss of sorts — something of a minor ruckus — involving Cardinals pitchers and grounds crew members putting a cross on the mound at Busch Stadium. People were offended, see, because, I dunno, it turned them into Christians against their will or something.
Now, as a result of the outrage, the Cardinals have removed the cross and asked players and grounds crew not to put it there anymore.
I’m a big annoying agnostic who is among the first to get irked when religion and government start to become intertwined, but I fail to see how this could have truly bothered anyone. It was a step up from a guy wearing a crucifix or looking to the heavens after doing something good on the playing field. No one was asking anyone else to adopt any beliefs. No one else’s beliefs or freedoms were impinged. Someone just got annoyed at someone else’s thing and decided to be a pain about it.
Hope it made them feel better.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 51
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24