Jul 9, 2013, 11:07 AM EST
A couple of weeks ago we learned that there was a fuss of sorts — something of a minor ruckus — involving Cardinals pitchers and grounds crew members putting a cross on the mound at Busch Stadium. People were offended, see, because, I dunno, it turned them into Christians against their will or something.
Now, as a result of the outrage, the Cardinals have removed the cross and asked players and grounds crew not to put it there anymore.
I’m a big annoying agnostic who is among the first to get irked when religion and government start to become intertwined, but I fail to see how this could have truly bothered anyone. It was a step up from a guy wearing a crucifix or looking to the heavens after doing something good on the playing field. No one was asking anyone else to adopt any beliefs. No one else’s beliefs or freedoms were impinged. Someone just got annoyed at someone else’s thing and decided to be a pain about it.
Hope it made them feel better.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)