Jul 9, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
After missing five straight games with a sprained ankle the Tigers have placed Omar Infante on the disabled list.
Infante injured his ankle Wednesday when Blue Jays center fielder Colby Rasmus slid into him at second base, although it was initially called a shin contusion.
Ramon Santiago has been subbing for Infante at second base after barely playing through the first 83 games. Infante hit .309 with six homers and a .787 OPS in 76 games before getting hurt, whereas Santiago has a .242 batting average and .641 OPS for his career.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 5
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 47
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 22
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 112
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 30
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 106
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 82
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (112)