Jul 9, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
After missing five straight games with a sprained ankle the Tigers have placed Omar Infante on the disabled list.
Infante injured his ankle Wednesday when Blue Jays center fielder Colby Rasmus slid into him at second base, although it was initially called a shin contusion.
Ramon Santiago has been subbing for Infante at second base after barely playing through the first 83 games. Infante hit .309 with six homers and a .787 OPS in 76 games before getting hurt, whereas Santiago has a .242 batting average and .641 OPS for his career.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)