Jul 9, 2013, 1:06 PM EDT
You tend not to hear much about team presidents unless they get involved in baseball operations in meaningful ways. Padres team President Tom Garfinkel didn’t do that, but you did hear about him anyway back in April when he said some insensitive things about Zack Greinke’s anxiety disorder and subsequently apologized about it.
Now we’re hearing about him again: he has stepped down as Padres President and CEO according to a team press release.
It’s kind of surprising he lasted this long as he was a holdover of Jeff Moorad’s management team. Moorad, you’ll recall, put in years trying to buy the Padres on an installment/rent-to-own plan of sorts before having his bid rejected by Major League Baseball. With Garfinkel’s departure the last remnants of the old republic have been swept away.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 77
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (78)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (73)