Jul 9, 2013, 1:06 PM EDT
You tend not to hear much about team presidents unless they get involved in baseball operations in meaningful ways. Padres team President Tom Garfinkel didn’t do that, but you did hear about him anyway back in April when he said some insensitive things about Zack Greinke’s anxiety disorder and subsequently apologized about it.
Now we’re hearing about him again: he has stepped down as Padres President and CEO according to a team press release.
It’s kind of surprising he lasted this long as he was a holdover of Jeff Moorad’s management team. Moorad, you’ll recall, put in years trying to buy the Padres on an installment/rent-to-own plan of sorts before having his bid rejected by Major League Baseball. With Garfinkel’s departure the last remnants of the old republic have been swept away.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)