Jul 9, 2013, 1:06 PM EDT
You tend not to hear much about team presidents unless they get involved in baseball operations in meaningful ways. Padres team President Tom Garfinkel didn’t do that, but you did hear about him anyway back in April when he said some insensitive things about Zack Greinke’s anxiety disorder and subsequently apologized about it.
Now we’re hearing about him again: he has stepped down as Padres President and CEO according to a team press release.
It’s kind of surprising he lasted this long as he was a holdover of Jeff Moorad’s management team. Moorad, you’ll recall, put in years trying to buy the Padres on an installment/rent-to-own plan of sorts before having his bid rejected by Major League Baseball. With Garfinkel’s departure the last remnants of the old republic have been swept away.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)