Jul 9, 2013, 1:06 PM EST
You tend not to hear much about team presidents unless they get involved in baseball operations in meaningful ways. Padres team President Tom Garfinkel didn’t do that, but you did hear about him anyway back in April when he said some insensitive things about Zack Greinke’s anxiety disorder and subsequently apologized about it.
Now we’re hearing about him again: he has stepped down as Padres President and CEO according to a team press release.
It’s kind of surprising he lasted this long as he was a holdover of Jeff Moorad’s management team. Moorad, you’ll recall, put in years trying to buy the Padres on an installment/rent-to-own plan of sorts before having his bid rejected by Major League Baseball. With Garfinkel’s departure the last remnants of the old republic have been swept away.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (125)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)