Jul 9, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
San Diego placed Yasmani Grandal on the 60-day disabled list even before getting the results of his MRI exam, so the Padres knew his right knee injury was bad. And sure enough, the catcher has been diagnosed with a torn ACL and is expected to miss 9-12 months following surgery.
Grandal suffered the injury when Nationals infielder Anthony Rendon slid into him on a play at the plate Saturday and the swelling is so bad that he won’t be able to have the surgery for a couple weeks.
Grandal was once among the top catching prospects in baseball and the Padres acquired him from the Reds as part of the Mat Latos trade last offseason. He had a very nice rookie season last year, but then Grandal missed the beginning of the season while serving a 50-game suspension for performance-enhancing drugs and has hit just .216 with one homer and a .693 OPS in 28 games while splitting time with Nick Hundley behind the plate.
His status for the beginning of next season is very much in doubt.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (102)