Jul 9, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
San Diego placed Yasmani Grandal on the 60-day disabled list even before getting the results of his MRI exam, so the Padres knew his right knee injury was bad. And sure enough, the catcher has been diagnosed with a torn ACL and is expected to miss 9-12 months following surgery.
Grandal suffered the injury when Nationals infielder Anthony Rendon slid into him on a play at the plate Saturday and the swelling is so bad that he won’t be able to have the surgery for a couple weeks.
Grandal was once among the top catching prospects in baseball and the Padres acquired him from the Reds as part of the Mat Latos trade last offseason. He had a very nice rookie season last year, but then Grandal missed the beginning of the season while serving a 50-game suspension for performance-enhancing drugs and has hit just .216 with one homer and a .693 OPS in 28 games while splitting time with Nick Hundley behind the plate.
His status for the beginning of next season is very much in doubt.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)