Jul 9, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
San Diego placed Yasmani Grandal on the 60-day disabled list even before getting the results of his MRI exam, so the Padres knew his right knee injury was bad. And sure enough, the catcher has been diagnosed with a torn ACL and is expected to miss 9-12 months following surgery.
Grandal suffered the injury when Nationals infielder Anthony Rendon slid into him on a play at the plate Saturday and the swelling is so bad that he won’t be able to have the surgery for a couple weeks.
Grandal was once among the top catching prospects in baseball and the Padres acquired him from the Reds as part of the Mat Latos trade last offseason. He had a very nice rookie season last year, but then Grandal missed the beginning of the season while serving a 50-game suspension for performance-enhancing drugs and has hit just .216 with one homer and a .693 OPS in 28 games while splitting time with Nick Hundley behind the plate.
His status for the beginning of next season is very much in doubt.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)