Jul 9, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
San Diego placed Yasmani Grandal on the 60-day disabled list even before getting the results of his MRI exam, so the Padres knew his right knee injury was bad. And sure enough, the catcher has been diagnosed with a torn ACL and is expected to miss 9-12 months following surgery.
Grandal suffered the injury when Nationals infielder Anthony Rendon slid into him on a play at the plate Saturday and the swelling is so bad that he won’t be able to have the surgery for a couple weeks.
Grandal was once among the top catching prospects in baseball and the Padres acquired him from the Reds as part of the Mat Latos trade last offseason. He had a very nice rookie season last year, but then Grandal missed the beginning of the season while serving a 50-game suspension for performance-enhancing drugs and has hit just .216 with one homer and a .693 OPS in 28 games while splitting time with Nick Hundley behind the plate.
His status for the beginning of next season is very much in doubt.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)