Jul 9, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
San Diego placed Yasmani Grandal on the 60-day disabled list even before getting the results of his MRI exam, so the Padres knew his right knee injury was bad. And sure enough, the catcher has been diagnosed with a torn ACL and is expected to miss 9-12 months following surgery.
Grandal suffered the injury when Nationals infielder Anthony Rendon slid into him on a play at the plate Saturday and the swelling is so bad that he won’t be able to have the surgery for a couple weeks.
Grandal was once among the top catching prospects in baseball and the Padres acquired him from the Reds as part of the Mat Latos trade last offseason. He had a very nice rookie season last year, but then Grandal missed the beginning of the season while serving a 50-game suspension for performance-enhancing drugs and has hit just .216 with one homer and a .693 OPS in 28 games while splitting time with Nick Hundley behind the plate.
His status for the beginning of next season is very much in doubt.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)