And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights

Jul 10, 2013, 6:51 AM EST

Texas Rangers v Baltimore Orioles Getty Images

Rangers 8, Orioles 2: Adrian Beltre hit two homers on a 4 for 4, 5 RBI night. He has an 11 game hitting streak and is 21 for his last 43. Wrecking crew. — He’s not a member of the All-Star team despite a line of .319/.362/.551. Thank you, Jim Leyland, though, for giving us five middle relievers to choose from in that Final Vote thing. THIS TIME IT COUNTS.

Royals 3, Yankees 1: Third loss in a row for the Yankees. This time they were tied up by James Shields for seven innings. CC Sabathia went the distance but gave up homers to Butler and Lough.

Phillies 4, Nationals 2: Cole Hamels allowed one run and six hits in eight innings, winning his second straight. The Phillies are now 6-2 in July, having taken series from the Pirates and Braves and now having beaten the Nationals twice in a row.

Rays 4, Twins 1: That’s six straight for the Rays. Granted, they’ve come against the Twins, White Sox and Astros, but wins against bad teams count just as much in the standings as wins against good ones.

Athletics 2, Pirates 1: Dan Straily allowed one run in six and a third and was then optioned to Sacramento because that’s how life works when you’re a fifth starter around the All-Star break. Oakland maintains its half-game lead over the Rangers.

Braves 6, Marlins 4: Justin Upton had been doing a pretty good B.J. Upton imitation for the past couple of months, but last night he doubled twice, homered and drove in two.

Cubs 7, Angels 2: Two homers for Alfonso Soriano. Five in all for the Cubbies. Four straight wins for the Cubs.

Indians 3, Blue Jays 0: Ubaldo Jimenez and three relievers combine for the shutout. Took only two hours and sixteen minutes to get this one in the can.

Brewers 2, Reds 0: Wily Peralta with a three-hit shutout overshadowed Tony Cingrani‘s ten-strikeout performance. Peralta’s complete game was the Brewers first in 407 starts, which is pretty amazing.

While Sox 11, Tigers 4: A 6 for 6 night for Alex Rios. Adam Dunn after the game: “That takes people like me two, maybe three weeks to get six.” Dunn did, however, hit a two-run homer off Justin Verlander in the eighth to put the Sox ahead for good as Chicago scored ten runs in the final two frames. Twenty-three hits in all for the Chisox.

Cardinals 9, Astros 5: Seven scoreless innings gives Adam Wainwright his 12th win, tying him for the NL lead. He’s now 13-1 in 15 career starts against Houston with a 1.56 ERA.

Red Sox 11, Mariners 8: Jackie Bradley Jr. flew into Seattle after being called up and hit the tie-breaking homer. Five homers in all for the Sox. David Ortiz stole a base. Weird things happen after I go to sleep.

Dodgers 6, Diamondbacks 1: Ricky Nolasco made his Dodgers debut and allowed only one run in seven. The Dodgers have played eight straight against NL West opponents and have won six of them. They’re still not back to .500, but they’re only 2.5 out of the division lead.

Padres 2, Rockies 1: The Padres finally win a friggin’ ballgame. A complete game for Eric Stults. Bud Black visited the mound to take him out in the ninth but left him in, saying afterward that he remembered what it was like to be in that position when he pitched. Which reminded me that Bud Black was once a starting pitcher. I had somehow forgotten that, having his identity morph in my head into a manager only at some point. That has happened with Mike Scioscia at times too. Not Kirk Gibson yet. Some ex-players always feel like ex-players to me. Some make that jump. I dunno.

Mets 10, Giants 6: A Marlon Byrd grand slam gave the Mets breathing room as they put up five runs in the eighth. The Giants, by the way, have a worse record than the Cubs.

1. uyf1950 - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:12 AM

The Yankees pitching remains pretty good and pretty consistent. But their offense borders on embarrassing. Cashman better do something pretty soon to get some pop in the line up or the 2nd half of the season for the Yankees could get pretty ugly. Just telling it like I see it. BTW, I’m not sure what’s up with CC and all the HR’s he’s allowing.

2. kevinravens1 - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Rangers 8, Orioles 4…………………

3. greymares - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:22 AM

nothing more fun than a flailing Yankee team or better yet a crying Yankee fan.

• greymares - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:23 AM

meant for uyf1950

• uyf1950 - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Hardly crying my friend, and if you knew anything about me or my comments on this board you would have realized that. I was merely stating the obvious for blowhards like you. Have a good day.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Leave uyf1950 ALONE!!! ;>P Hey there uyfie.

• greymares - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:30 AM

“blowhard” is what your boyfriend said

• uyf1950 - Jul 10, 2013 at 2:18 PM

To greymares, It’s unfortunate that you chose to sink to the level of sexual innuendo with your reply. I have NO intention of descending to your level by responding in kind. Have a good day.

4. kcrobert10 - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Boy this was not the same Yankees team I saw earlier this yr where they came to the k and beat our brains in. Age injuries and bad contracts have caught up to that organization. Know what I’m not going to feel sorry for them andthere 27 world championships. Hey just like me maybe the Yankees would like to trade for the iron giant its a thought…

• lazlosother - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:16 AM

There isn’t a team out there that wouldn’t like to trade for the Iron Giant. Excepting the Marlins, because they already have him.

• Old Gator - Jul 10, 2013 at 1:14 PM

And his batting line over the last three weeks isn’t going to inspire even the most amorous suitor to give up all that much anymore. Unless the Iron Giant snaps out of his abyssal funk and goes on a tear between now and the end of the month, he’s not going to draw flies over the bargaining table.

But that’s kinda immaterial. The Feesh weren’t going to trade him anyway.

5. chill1184 - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Collins once again leaving a started in an inning too early, went to bed after Gee gave up another run in the 7th. Among the scrap heap pick ups Marlon Byrd has been pretty damm solid

6. koufaxmitzvah - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Welcome to the Dodgers, Ricky. Now pick up a bat. 2-2 with an RBI and a successful sac bunt. So far this series, Dodgers pitchers are 5-5 at the plate while striking out 15 batters in 18 innings on the mound.

7. indaburg - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Adrian Beltre, you magnificent bastard, you.

The Rays for the past few years have tended to play to the level of their opponents. Great against the good teams, and poorly against the bad ones (we could not buy a win in friggin’ Cleveland). This year, the Rays are doing what one should do to bad teams. Flick them off your shoulder like Hulk brushing off a puny challenger. Now the Rays need to figure out how to beat the overachieving Red Sox, and all will be right in my little world.

• hittfamily - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Exactly! 2-9 against John Lackeys crew. They need to start Farnsworth one day, and just have him peg the first 4 batters. Incite a riot in our clubhouse.

It would be pretty mean, but sometimes the ends justify the mean.
      -Michael Scott, Dunder Mifflin/Sabre Corp.

8. unclemosesgreen - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Weird – Scoscia will always be a catcher who manages to me and his treatment of Mike Napoli cemented that.

9. historiophiliac - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:52 AM

I think last night’s game shows why Leyland wants a stash of All Star middle relievers.

• jwbiii - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I didn’t watch that game. I put on the pre-game, saw there was a rain delay, and didn’t want to watch the Hawkeroo ad-lib for an hour. He’s bad enough when there’s actually baseball to watch.

• detroitr1 - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:45 AM

We have a serious issue with JV. That was the absolute worst game he has thrown this year. His changeup was 89 and his fastball was 90-91–with no movement. His ‘reach back’ velocity was 94. He hit that once or twice the whole game. Last year, he averaged 94 on all his 2 seam pitches. By the 8th, he was literally throwing BP. White Sox fans have every right to pound their chests today, but that game would have gotten out of hand a lot sooner had it been Texas, Cleveland or the Angles and he pitched like that.

His mechanics were terrible and he probably has a dead arm to go with it.

• historiophiliac - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I haven’t wanted to say it out loud, but he’s….

The whole team seems to play better with His Heterochromianess or Sanchez on the mound. It’s like they have more confidence in winning. That was shameful. But, really, I gave up watching after Al-Al gave up the big homer.

• hittfamily - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Yet somehow he is an all star and James Shields isn’t.
        Verlander: 19 games started 119 ip. 3.71 ERA – has faced Royals putrid offense twice. Never has to face Tigers
        Shields: 19 games started 129 ip. 3.12 ERA – has faced Tigers twice, Never gets to face Royals.

They have met each other twice this year. The Royals are 2-0 when Shields goes head to head against Verlander. Big Game James has outpitched Has Been Justin.

• historiophiliac - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM

In all fairness, the Royals have been a bit of kryptonite for V in the past anyway. He was great last year and they still roughed him up. His performance against them is not a good measure of his status generally.

• spudchukar - Jul 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I blame Kate Upton.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Leyland wants a stash of Crown Royal and Marlborough Reds.

• historiophiliac - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:43 AM

That’s you, fool.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Crown is too sweet for Unk, and it was a sad sad day when I had to quit smoking my Camel unfiltereds.

• historiophiliac - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:16 AM

You know what’s never too sweet? The tears of Yankees fans.

• historiophiliac - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Guess who starts tonight? Urp.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:15 AM

The rollercoaster known as Porcini.

Shouldn’t you be more worried about losing your only viable shortstop after the All-Star break?

• historiophiliac - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I am practicing patience for Ramadan.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM

/cautiously peers around improvised peanut-shield

• Old Gator - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I love Ramadan. We go to the Ramadan break-fast dinner buffet at the local Persian restaurant a couple of times a week for a month, especially the big Eid buffet on the last night and engorge ourselves like Adam Ruhani ascending. Soul food to please the djinn and shaitan in all of us. And my diet? Oh, I martyred that last Ramadan.

• historiophiliac - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM

OG, I find the daylight fast workable and have tried it myself; however, not drinking anything during the day…in the summertime…in the Frying Pan…not even water? Can’t do it. I have a friend who does it, and I know I don’t have that in me. He actually came to a dinner thing we had last year and abstained while those around us ate & drank. That’s impressive.

10. mungman69 - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Are the Phillies making a move? I doubt it. What you think, Rubin?

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:27 AM

“Okay, pork belly prices have been dropping all morning, which means that everybody is waiting for it to hit rock bottom, so they can buy low. Which means that the people who own the pork belly contracts are saying, “Hey, we’re losing all our damn money, and Christmas is around the corner, and I ain’t gonna have no money to buy my son the G.I. Joe with the kung-fu grip! And my wife ain’t gonna f… my wife ain’t gonna make love to me if I got no money!” So they’re panicking right now, they’re screaming “SELL! SELL!” to get out before the price keeps dropping. They’re panicking out there right now, I can feel it. ”

In other words, leave the team intact if they continue to push up the standings, bring Halladay back to shore up the bullpen at some point, bring Howard back, if it’s going to be this year, as a big bat off the bench, and give it one more shot.

Glad the folks that were summarily screaming ” SELL SELL” for the better parts of two months were summarily ignored.

• Old Gator - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Sounds like a pretty cool improv on Jason Compson’s tirade about the commodity markets in The Sound and the Fury.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM

71 games left. Last year they were 41-30 over the final 71 games – if they did that this year, they would be 86-76. It would not shock me at all if who ever wins the NL East is 86-76.

So if they keep the team intact, could they go 41-30 while going….say 8-5 in remaining games against the each of the Braves and Gnats? Sure. But then when what? Half the teams that make the playoffs lose in the first round, and guys they are not going to sign next year will be leaving with nothing in return.

Not sure what they should do….but oddly, this little 6-2 run may actually be bad.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:01 AM

” Half the teams that make the playoffs lose in the first round, and guys they are not going to sign next year will be leaving with nothing in return.”

Except for potential compensatory draft picks from teams that sign them and at least $35 million in salary off the books to spend on free agency.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Not to mention, over the past few years, it’s been the hot team going into the playoffs at the time that takes the spoils, not necessarily the best team.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Not always – how hot were the Phillies in 2007? 13-4 down the stretch, and they got swept in the NLDS. Last year the Orioles were 38-20 to close the season, and lost in the ALDS

People always look at the likes of the 2011 Cardinals, but forget that for everyone of those, some other hot team goes down the toilet. Not that I am suggesting I don’t want the Phillies to squeak in at 86 wins – I would love it!

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I’ll point out that in 2007 they were beaten by the hotter Colorado Team and they made it to the world series. I still think that 10 day layover did more damage than good when the Sox rolled all over them.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Right, Colorado was hotter. But my point was that people look at the success stories (2011 Cards), and forget that lots of teams enter the playoffs hot….and some will lose.

Conversely, the 2000 Yankees finished the season 2-13, and won the World Series.

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Sure. At this point I believe the whole thing is a coin-toss. The regular season win-loss record is meaningless (as the Phillies and Nats and Braves can attest). Your best bet seems to be have a balanced line-up and pitching staff. Not so much have enough strength in an area but try not to have a fatal weakness in another. And even then, if the bats go cold, or the pitching goes off the rails at the wrong time… well. C’est La Vie.

11. deathmonkey41 - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before- Ace CC Sabbathia gets outpitched by another team’s ace…

• sportsdrenched - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:09 AM

We say the same thing about James Shields. It was nice to be on the correct end of ace on ace crime.

• hittfamily - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM

The fact that Shields only has 6 losses with the run support he gets and how deep he goes in ball games shows how good he has pitched. The Royals have beaten Sale, CC, and Verlander twice when Shields pitches, but he only has 1 win to show for it.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM

And CC makes what all those guys do combined probably (I’m exaggerating). People complain about A-Rod and Tex’s contracts, but here is another guy who has not pitched to what he is being paid.

12. jwbiii - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:29 AM

“Four straight wins for the Cubs.
    Granted, they’ve come against the White Sox and Angels, but wins against bad teams count just as much in the standings as wins against good ones.”
    also works.

• spudchukar - Jul 10, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Hey the Cubs are better than many people believe, and even better than their record. They have a +1 run differential and they play in the toughest division in the NL.

• jwbiii - Jul 10, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Wow. Kinds words for the Cubs from a Cards fan.

• derklempner - Jul 10, 2013 at 1:15 PM

The first two of those four wins were against the first-place Pirates, which the Cubs beat two out of three games in the series. Also, don’t forget the fact that although the Angels may have a sub-.500 record, they still have a better record than the Cubs — even after losing to them.

All this being said (or typed), the Cubs should have beaten the White Sox, and they did. As spudchukar wrote, the Cubs are a better team than most people believe. It’s just that two of their supposed pillars of future success (Castro and Rizzo) aren’t the ones carrying the team like the front office hoped they would; instead, it’s the starting pitching and veterans like Soriano – all trade bait players, mind you – that are doing the job. There’s a reason that these players are all trade bait and contending teams are interested in acquiring them.

13. umrguy42 - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Nice to see the Cards beat up on Bud Norris. Anecdata, I know, but he’s just seemed like a Cardinal-killer lately.

14. Liam - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Sciosia still isn’t a manager in my mind, he’ll always be a former nuclear technician to me.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I think you have him confused with Homer.

15. icanspeel - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Bud Black made the right decision to keep Stults in there since Todd Helton was waiting on the bench for Huston Street who never arrived.

16. sportsdrenched - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I go roam the desert & mountains of New Mexico where nary a cell signal is availible for a week and come back to see the Royals have jumped on this hitting Home Runs fad.

I don’t know how they did it, but I’m glad they did. And you don’t ever apologize for beating the Yankees regardless of which Yankees they are.

• historiophiliac - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Doom.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:22 AM

DOOOOMMMM!!!!

• jwbiii - Jul 10, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Where in NM were you? I really like Chaco Canyon.

• sportsdrenched - Jul 14, 2013 at 8:16 PM

All over the place. Carlsbad Caverns/Guadalupe Mts, El Paso, White Sands, found this really cool campsite in the Mts west of there. Then through ABQ, Sante Fe, Bandalier National Park, and then Cimarron Canyon on our way home.

17. hittfamily - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:41 AM

The Yankees have no payroll flexabilty, and their farm system is in shambles. It is time to start selling off assets. 1 problem, they have no assets. This team will be terrible for 5 years. Once again, the Rays, the bottomfeeders, have risen up the water column to the top of the water, and will show the AL Beast who is the best.

When can we start talking about a dynasty? If you win 90+ games 5 of 6 years, is that a dynasty?

18. mornelithe - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:49 AM

The Ortiz steal was ridiculous, I mean he could’ve just as well walked from 1st to 2nd. He had gone 7 steps before the ball left the pitchers hand. I believe he ran on Beaven, who’d been pitching at a Yankees v Red Sox game pace. It was….absolutely odd. I’ve never seen someone of that size, get that kind of jump on a pitcher, he just straight up wasn’t paying attention. Though, if I were a pitcher, I wonder how much I’d be looking out for the Ortiz steal as well.

Either way, it was a delayed 4th of July for both teams yesterday. They were hitting very well, against shaky pitching.

19. APBA Guy - Jul 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Two straight 2-1 A’s wins over Pittsburgh. It’s easy to see how the Pirates have the lowest ERA in the league after Locke and Cole’s performances the last two nights. I expected a few more runs off Cole and was looking prescient in the first until Jaso struck out with the bases loaded.

BTW, has Cano not noticed how Yoenis hasn’t gotten the ball out of the infield in like the last 10 days? Something isn’t right with Cespedes, it looks like his legs to me. And Donaldson, since the all-star non-snub, has gone hitless and was busy screwing himself into the ground last night trying to catch up to Cole.

As for Straily going down, he’ll get a game in the minors while the big club takes the all-star break, and the roster spot gives the team a chance to look at Sonny Gray, as DJ reported last night. It’s a dirty little secret that the A’s “B” bullpen is really weak right now, a fact that’s been disguised by the starters getting into the 7th consistently, resulting in only Cook and Balfour getting constant use, and lefties Doolittle and Blevins regular use. So Gray could be a useful part if he proves effective.

Speaking of Balfour, with El Capitan in a position to not go to the ASG, Balfour has been showcasing and has looked excellent against the Pirates, not doing his usual walk and a hit and falling behind to every hitter before Crisp or Sogard bails him out with a great play. He’s been working ahead in the count and generally toning down the rage in favor of pitching.

A’s go for the sweep tonight before flying back to Oakland for the weekend series with Boston.

20. janessa31888 - Jul 10, 2013 at 12:58 PM

We got good Ubaldo last night. How nice. The bullpen, which has been awful lately, actually didn’t collapse for once. Shocking.
    You can still see I’m still bitter about the series with the Tigers. The Tribe had a chance to prove themselves and they totally blew it. All my delusions of making the playoffs completely disappeared.

21. Old Gator - Jul 10, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Quick Feesh note: your May 2013 Feesh have returned after taking June orf for a sojourn in another dimension. Errors, peecked orf, killer double plays, hanging curveballs, unmaintainable leads, you name it. I feel fortunate to be racing two editorial deadlines and barely paying attention this week. This tropical storm can’t get here and wash out a game or two soon enough.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2833)
  2. W. Myers (2602)
  3. D. Ross (2319)
  4. C. McGehee (2231)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2029)
  1. J. Shields (1939)