Jul 10, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
After yesterday’s game Joe Girardi gave some quotes that seem to quite rationally, reasonably and diplomatically assess the Yankees offense. Specifically: Girard was asked if the Yankees need to go out and get more bats. He noted that the Yankees offense was bad now but that him, in the clubhouse, saying “yes, we need better hitters” would necessarily be insulting his current team and he didn’t want to do that. Then he said that he’s confident the hitters he has can get the job done.
Pretty standard stuff, yes? Not if you read ESPN New York. The headline:
That’s “bristling?” I’d hate to see “testiness” or “grumpiness.”
In other news, the fact that Girardi has had as much success as he’s had in New York without ever really getting into a big P.R. problem or actually losing his cool may be the most underrated thing about him. Most of us dealing with that nonsense would’ve gone full-on Bobby Valentine years ago.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 7
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 26
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)