Jul 10, 2013, 7:13 PM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports brings us this exclusive report:
Burgeoning agent Jay-Z is wooing Los Angeles Dodgers star Yasiel Puig, hoping to add the 22-year-old to the growing stable of athletes he represents, two sources told Yahoo! Sports.
During a mid-June trip to New York, Puig was invited to a party at a club Jay-Z owns after a Dodgers teammate passed along the rapper’s contact information, one source said. Between the lifestyle and marketing plan offered by Roc Nation Sports, Puig left the meeting intrigued.
Roc Nation Sports’ only other baseball client at this point is Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano. The newly-founded agency also represents Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunder, quarterback Geno Smith of the Jets and WNBA rookie Skylar Diggins.
Puig, 22, is batting .407/.441/.659 with eight home runs, five stolen bases, 19 RBI and 26 runs scored through his first 35 major league games. He defected from his native Cuba in 2012 and went on to sign a seven-year, $42 million free agent contract with Los Angeles. He can’t become a free agent until after the 2018 season.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)