Jul 10, 2013, 7:13 PM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports brings us this exclusive report:
Burgeoning agent Jay-Z is wooing Los Angeles Dodgers star Yasiel Puig, hoping to add the 22-year-old to the growing stable of athletes he represents, two sources told Yahoo! Sports.
During a mid-June trip to New York, Puig was invited to a party at a club Jay-Z owns after a Dodgers teammate passed along the rapper’s contact information, one source said. Between the lifestyle and marketing plan offered by Roc Nation Sports, Puig left the meeting intrigued.
Roc Nation Sports’ only other baseball client at this point is Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano. The newly-founded agency also represents Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunder, quarterback Geno Smith of the Jets and WNBA rookie Skylar Diggins.
Puig, 22, is batting .407/.441/.659 with eight home runs, five stolen bases, 19 RBI and 26 runs scored through his first 35 major league games. He defected from his native Cuba in 2012 and went on to sign a seven-year, $42 million free agent contract with Los Angeles. He can’t become a free agent until after the 2018 season.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)