Jul 10, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
I speculated Monday that the sudden influx of “Matt Garza and the Cubs have talked contract extension” reports were mostly the Cubs attempting to use the media to generate some negotiating leverage for an inevitable trade.
Garza was asked about the situation and pegged the chances of agreeing to an extension at “50-50″ but according to Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com: “Privately, Garza is bracing for a trade and expects to be in a new city soon, perhaps well in advance of the July 31 non-waiver deadline.”
Garza’s elbow problems had the potential to wreck his trade value, but since returning from the disabled list he’s gone 5-1 with a 3.22 ERA in 10 starts, including 4-0 with a 0.97 ERA in his last 37 innings.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29