Jul 10, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
I speculated Monday that the sudden influx of “Matt Garza and the Cubs have talked contract extension” reports were mostly the Cubs attempting to use the media to generate some negotiating leverage for an inevitable trade.
Garza was asked about the situation and pegged the chances of agreeing to an extension at “50-50″ but according to Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com: “Privately, Garza is bracing for a trade and expects to be in a new city soon, perhaps well in advance of the July 31 non-waiver deadline.”
Garza’s elbow problems had the potential to wreck his trade value, but since returning from the disabled list he’s gone 5-1 with a 3.22 ERA in 10 starts, including 4-0 with a 0.97 ERA in his last 37 innings.
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 1
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 5
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 18
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 41
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 22