Jul 10, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
I speculated Monday that the sudden influx of “Matt Garza and the Cubs have talked contract extension” reports were mostly the Cubs attempting to use the media to generate some negotiating leverage for an inevitable trade.
Garza was asked about the situation and pegged the chances of agreeing to an extension at “50-50″ but according to Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com: “Privately, Garza is bracing for a trade and expects to be in a new city soon, perhaps well in advance of the July 31 non-waiver deadline.”
Garza’s elbow problems had the potential to wreck his trade value, but since returning from the disabled list he’s gone 5-1 with a 3.22 ERA in 10 starts, including 4-0 with a 0.97 ERA in his last 37 innings.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)