Jul 10, 2013, 8:54 AM EST
The New York Times reports on an extremely-Mets-like public relations mess. Seems that the New York Mets wanted to have a Native American Heritage night. That’s good! They reached out to a Native American group for their participation and assistance. That’s good too!
They scheduled it, however, on a day the Braves were in town. That’s not necessarily bad. Could be awkward and interpreted as a stronger statement than the Mets intended to make — an anti-Native American iconography in sports statement as opposed to merely one honoring Native American culture — but my view would be that that’s the Braves problem and if they feel awkward about it maybe it’s their own damn fault for promoting nonsense like the Tomahawk Chop for the past 25 years. If a jerk comes into my house I’m not gonna be two worked up about offending his jerkish sensibilities.
But the Mets, rather than take that approach, just decided to cut off the Native American heritage night at the knees:
So in the past week, concerned that such activities might be interpreted by the Braves organization as a form of protest over its nickname, the Mets drastically reduced the day’s activities: no singing, no dancing. And now there won’t be any American Indians, either.
On Monday, the A.I.C.H. pulled out of the event, citing frustration with the Mets for thwarting months of planning. The team has removed the event from its online schedule of activities.
The Mets did eventually offer alternate dates, but they only did so after A.I.C.H. had made all sorts of plans surrounding the July 25th event.
Way to go, Mets. That’s some bang-up community outreach.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 16
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 18
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)