Jul 10, 2013, 7:57 PM EDT
From Jeff Wilson of the Forth Worth Star-Telegram comes word that the Rangers have placed right-handed starter Yu Darvish on the 15-day disabled list with a slight strain in his right trapezuis muscle.
The Rangers are confident that the shoulder injury isn’t serious and expect Darvish to be ready for activation almost as soon as his 15 days are up. He will obviously have to drop out of the All-Star Game.
Darvish, 26, has posted a 3.02 ERA and 1.05 WHIP across 18 starts this season, fanning a whopping 157 batters in 119 1/3 innings. He allowed five runs over six innings last Saturday against the Astros in his worst start of 2013.
Texas entered play on Wednesday with a half-game deficit behind the A’s in the AL West standings.
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 1
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 43
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (139)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)