And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights

Jul 11, 2013, 7:01 AM EDT

Josh Hamilton

Angels 13, Cubs 2: It’s almost as if Josh Hamilton hadn’t totally forgotten how to play baseball or something. Go figure. Two homers and five RBI in this romp. One of his homers was back-to-back with a Pujols home run. First time that’s happened this year.

Nationals 5, Phillies 1: The Nats hit four homers off Cliff Lee: back-to-back in the fifth, back-to-back in the sixth. Otherwise Lee was fine and Mrs. Lincoln enjoyed the play.

Dodgers 7, Diamondbacks 5: The sweep, as A.J. Ellis ties it up in the ninth and then homers in the fourteenth. The Dodgers were 12 games under .500 and nine and a half games out of first on June 22. Now they are back to .500 and one and a half back of the Diamondbacks after winning 15 of 18. I do a lot of radio spots around the country each week. A lot of the same stations over and over. It’s cute how the hosts and I talk about the surging Dodgers without acknowledging that we both talked about Don Mattingly’s imminent firing just a few weeks ago. We totally pretend we never said that stuff.

Blue Jays 5, Indians 4: They Jays rallied for three in the ninth and then held the Tribe’s own ninth inning rally to two runs. Terry Francona explains the ninth inning:

“Smitty had faced Arencibia four times and struck him out four times,” Cleveland manager Terry Francona said. “That’s the matchup we wanted. With Kawasaki, he just left the ball over the plate and Bourny mishandled it for the unearned run.”

It takes a real pro to be obviously angry and disappointed but STILL use silly, childish nicknames for your players. That’s why Tito is Tito. Or maybe he should be Titoy or something.

Mets 7, Giants 2: Zack Wheeler was in the Giants organization once. They decided that a rental of Carlos Beltran was more valuable to them than keeping Wheeler. Probably not feeling that way this morning. Wheeler gave up one run in seven innings and had an RBI. Matt Cain lasted only two-thirds. The Mets sweep. The Giants are a disaster.

Marlins 6, Braves 2: A four-run first inning included a Giancarlo Stanton RBI double, which helped break his slump and the Marlins five-game losing streak.

Orioles 6, Rangers 1Wei-Yin Chen finally returns from the DL and gives the O’s exactly what they needed: Seven innings, three hits and one run.

Reds 6, Brewers 2: Mike Leake helped stop the Reds bleeding — they’ve dropped five games behind the Cardinals — by pitching into the ninth inning, allowing only two runs.

Yankees 8, Royals 1: Ivan Nova allowed one run in eight innings while Robinson Cano and Lyle Overbay homered. Overbay’s was a slam. Both Brett Gardner and Travis Hafner left the game with contusions of one kind or another.

Pirates 5, Athletics 0: A’s beat writers were tweeting pics of ominous skies before this game started, remarking how strange it looked to them and how in California you simply don’t see that sort of thing. Maybe it threw the A’s off too. Maybe a three hour rain delay did. Either way, Francisco Liriano stymied Oakland batters.

Tigers 8, White Sox 5: Three hits a piece for Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder, who added a home run. Joaquin Benoit walked two in the ninth but he did manage to convert his eighth save opportunity of the year so perhaps there is finally some stability at the end of the Tigers bullpen.

Rays 4, Twins 3: Thirteen innings played, 35 strikeouts between the teams. Bet this one was riveting to watch. Ben Zobrist with the game winning single. The Twins have dropped 10 of 11. The Rays are on fire.

Red Sox 11, Mariners 4: David Ortiz doubled, homered and drove in three. Felix Doubront allowed one run in seven. Ortiz’s double put him past Harold Baines for the most hits from a DH all-time.

Cardinals 5, Astros 4: Matt Carpenter hit a two-run homer in the seventh — off a lefty — to put the Cards past Houston. Take that, platoon splits.

Rockies 5, Padres 4: Jorge De La Rosa took a one-hit shutout into the sixth inning. It was his sixth straight win against the Padres.

1. uyf1950 - Jul 11, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Ivan Nova has pitched pretty well since being called back from Triple A. His last 2 outings have been excellent a combined 17 IP’ed and just 3 ER’s with 17 K’s and just 3 Walks. I think he just made it a lot easier for the Yankees to consider moving Phil Hughes.

I think if the Yankees can take 3 of these last 4 games before the ASB they stand a great chance of making a move and gaining ground in the division by the end of July. We’ll see.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 11, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Nova is no longer “Ivan The Terrible”. Nice win.

• uyf1950 - Jul 11, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Boy was he terrible previously. I’m going to hold off just for a little while though calling him: Ivan The Great (aka: Ivan III Vasilyevich of Russia).

• dan1111 - Jul 11, 2013 at 7:25 AM

This discussion makes me feel sorry for people named Ivan. Now, every time I am called “Dan the man” by people who think they made up a clever new nickname, I will remember that others have it far worse.

2. dan1111 - Jul 11, 2013 at 7:10 AM

If the Yankees were that inspired by Jeter’s equipment returning to the team, I can’t even imagine how much better they will be when he actually comes back. They will be winning most games with scores like 54 to negative 2.

• dan1111 - Jul 11, 2013 at 7:11 AM

(Before anyone asks: the opposing players run around the bases backwards, obviously).

• cur68 - Jul 11, 2013 at 7:38 AM

You hear “Book ‘em, Danno” at all? Because you should.

• dan1111 - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I have only heard it from you (and this comment isn’t the first one)…

• historiophiliac - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Oh, snap!

• jwbiii - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I knew some guys who were in a band called the Jack Lords. Their bass player, Dan, handled the business end. You can guess what their business card said.

• cur68 - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:16 AM

They’re pretty good. I’d book ‘em.

3. proudlycanadian - Jul 11, 2013 at 7:17 AM

There were a lot of Jays fans in Cleveland and at times it must have seemed like a home game for the Jays with loud chants of “Go Jays Go” and “Kawasaki”. The best that Cleveland fans could come up with was the chant of “USA, USA” forgetting that the majority of the Jays are Americans. Kawasaki “I am Japanese” was the hero for the Jays and was almost the goat. His 2 out throwing error in the 9th allowed the Indians to close the score to 5 to 4 knocking Janssen out of the game. Delabar came in to record the final out.

• cur68 - Jul 11, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Nail biter, eh? Well, a wins a win. It’d be nice if the bats and the pitching could get their crap together and, you know, PRODUCE at the same time. Ice cold hitting, lights out pitching, is not a recipe for success. Getting pretty tired of the top four guys popping out or running into outs. What with JP Arencebia’s stone bat and Bonifacio’s “swing at it all” strike zone there isn’t much offence otherwise. Perhaps its time to move Maicer Izturis into the leadoff spot and make the most of his base reaching. As it is, he’s getting stranded a lot. Anyhow, series clincher in 4 hours. C’mon Beaver!

• detroitr1 - Jul 11, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Revenge is best served in the 9th.

• missthemexpos - Jul 11, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Delabar is ready to be the closer, Jays should move Jansen while his value is high, lots of teams looking for relief help.

• cur68 - Jul 11, 2013 at 8:41 AM

McGowan looks like he could handle it, too. In fact, there are some damn lively arms in that bullpen. Wagner’s got some high speed stuff and Loup’s not far behind. Santos will come back (at some point, I guess) so there’s a log jam of big arms there. The problem with Delabar, and McGowan and Santos, too for that matter, is that arm has an ugly history. Delabar’s arm, in fact, once had this xray:

Is that the kind of arm you want to rely on for closer (He’s known as “Machine Man” in my FL due to that xray)? I hope its all behind him now, but that’s a mighty worrying thing to contemplate.

• missthemexpos - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Wow that’s some x-ray, I would call Delabar the master of the screw ball.

4. chill1184 - Jul 11, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Mets-Giants was fun, nice to see Wheeler continue to settle down in his starts. I got to wonder if Cain is hurt, that was not a good 1st inning

• sdelmonte - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Mets are 16-9 since the “end of Western Civilization” walk off homer. No one will confuse them with a contender, but they have become fun to watch overall. And surprising road warriors as well.

5. historiophiliac - Jul 11, 2013 at 7:51 AM

If I told you that we’d lose with V but win with Poorcello, would you have believed me? Somebody needs a girlfriend.

My O’s buddy tells me that Profar had a bit of a fit in the game last night and Wash had to come out and smooth things over with the umps. Think Wash is gonna give him an attitude adjustment? C’mon, O’s. Wear the Rangers out before the weekend. Thanks.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Profar needs a bat adjustment.

• historiophiliac - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:12 AM

You know, anymore, I can’t tell if the thumbs down are random or if I made a non-baseball townie mad. Booo!

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM

You know, anymore, Larva, I just don’t give a damn about the thumbs.

• historiophiliac - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM

But I like the kisses.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Is the boss back?

• historiophiliac - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I am working hard!

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM

No one said you weren’t. Do I need to get my peanut shield ready??

• cur68 - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Did you just call her “Larva” on purpose Mo? Because if you did, I think we should all start calling her that.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I did call her Larva, and I think everyone *should* follow suit.

• cur68 - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:56 AM

But will Larva mind? I mean, will she go absolutely dirtyharry1971 on us? Its not a successful troll job if there’s no poo flung.

• historiophiliac - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:16 AM

What I needed was a horde of internet brothers to supplement the live ones I got. Don’t forget Medusa too. That one never got old when I was 13.

• cur68 - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:21 AM

We do it with love and taste, Larva/Medusa. If we didn’t care, we’d ignore you.

• historiophiliac - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM

You must have been gone when I told that story, cur.

• cur68 - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Many would say that I exist in a state of being “out to lunch”.

What story?

• historiophiliac - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Back in the day, Wordperfect had problems recognizing names and the spell check always suggested “Larva Nigeria” for my name. I swore if I ever wrote fiction, that would be my pen name. Kool Mo G digs it.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 11, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Larva Nigeria is such a kickass name – perfect for checking into hotels. Even better than Ron Mexico.

6. southpaw2k - Jul 11, 2013 at 7:52 AM

2 thoughts:

1. Re: Lyle Overbay’s home run. I heard on MLB Network Radio this morning John Sterling’s home run call from last night’s game, and I think Sterling has stooped to a new low. I thought my head was going to explode after hearing this. You may need to read it out loud a couple times before it sinks in:

“I Lyle love it!”

2. Re: Zach Wheeler and the Giants: Yes, the Giants are a mess, but they also won 2 of the last 3 World Series. Could any Giants fan really have that much to gripe about? They obviously have little chance of defending their title this year, but I don’t think their fans can be that upset given the banner that was raised in their ballpark back in April.

• bravojawja - Jul 11, 2013 at 8:58 AM

1. Did he trot around the basepaths on the Road to Ensenada?

• Joe - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:04 AM

The Giants didn’t make the playoffs the year they traded for Beltran, so I suppose SOMEBODY could find a complaint about that trade.

• sdelmonte - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM

There is a rather odd, rather silly column in the NY Times today making fun of Sterling. Which is like shoot fish in a barrel.

• southpaw2k - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I looked that column up, and I think it’s both brilliant and nauseating. I’m really wondering now if the Yankees’ organization and/or their fans even like Sterling’s schtick.

7. natslady - Jul 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Rendon’s HR hit a Filly Fan in the head. Hope he is OK.

That said, we beat Cliff Lee, we beat Cliff Lee, we beat Cliff Lee. That makes up for losing to Lannan. Nothing makes up for losing to Colbert–hate when that happens.

8. indaburg - Jul 11, 2013 at 8:33 AM

To this Rays fan, the game was riveting. 35 Ks. I’m exhausted. Saw the whole thing I should get hazard pay for watching this stuff.

If the Rays lose today, it is all my fault. During their 7 game winning streak, I have worn my pretty heart shaped Rays watch. This morn, I searched high and low but could not find it. I am wearing a different watch. I take full responsibility.

• dan1111 - Jul 11, 2013 at 8:53 AM

If they do lose, don’t blame yourself. It was always just a matter of time.

• lukescottsbedsidemanner - Jul 11, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Sorry to hear this. Tell you what, come on over to my place (I got a stilt cabin in the bayou: we can watch the mosquitos breed and the alligators hump in the reeds) and I’ll give you a signed baseball, a gift basket of crawdaddy parts, and a new, barely used, lukescottshapedwatch to wear. C’mon. It’ll be fun.

/staring

• hittfamily - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Is your watch held on by a nasty ass rat tail too?
        pic.twitter.com/sLayiXuldn

• lukescottsbedsidemanner - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Its not nasty! It wash it and pig grease it every day. You just jealous of my nat’ral krisma. I gots bags of krisma. More’n you at any rate. lukescottskrisma is powerful mojo, man.

• historiophiliac - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I say we let the Romney boys hold him down and shave him.

• lukescottsbedsidemanner - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Nobody shaves lukescottshead! Lukescottsolderbrother would hunt ‘em down like a diseased boar hog and have their guts for lukescottsolderbroghtershairnet.

• indaburg - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Can I braid your rat tail?

• lukescottsbedsidemanner - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:01 PM

you want tom ouch my hair?? ReallY? No one EVER wants to touch my hair!

/breaks out in flop sweat

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:54 AM

A watch? I would have thought it was something like underwear.

• indaburg - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Who says I wear underwear? That’s slander.

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Sally don’t get me started, I may start saying inappropriate things in a public forum.

9. bravojawja - Jul 11, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Are you telling me the Braves lost a day game on a travel day? No. Way.

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM

They seem to do that often don’t they?

10. mplsjoe - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Terry Francona is channeling his inner Ron Gardenhire. Silly, childish nicknames in all setting is his M.O.

11. lewp - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I guess the world is right with Josh Hamilton since he went back to dipping tobacco….

His resurgence (sp) should last about 3 weeks, then he’ll have another excuse why he will be swatting aimlessly at outside curves.

• pauleee - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I hope not. Part of this mini-resurgence is that he’s NOT swinging at those curveballs. They’re not strikes, so he’s walking more and getting better pitches to hit. He’s not setting the wold on fire (obviously), but a walk is way better than a strikeout or weak groundball to second.

12. APBA Guy - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Craig-here’s a news flash: Liriano was great last night. That shutout was no accident. His slider/fork ball was dropping two feet almost straight down, and he was starting it just above the knees. Disgusting pitch. Especially after Mr. Gerrit Cole and his 96 mph freight train the night before. So big hat-tip to the Pirate starters in this series, allowing a total of 4 runs in 3 games. But their offense, especially the bottom half, needs serious work. I know they have injuries at short and 2nd, but their overall OBP and inability to work counts will handicap them until those issues are addressed.

Anyway, Sonny Gray. He looks like the A’s answer to Gerrit Cole. The last time the A’s had a guy like this was the young Rich Harden, he of the perpetual DL. I think there is even a rarely used category of the DL called the HL for Harden List, not 30 days, not 60 days, but 5 years. Anyway, very, very exciting guy for the A’s future. Especially if a certain El Capitan ends up suspended. Again.

If no suspension, then Tommy Milone had better be careful of his spot in the rotation. An ERA over 6.00 in his last 6 starts, and an ERA over 5.00 on the road this year. Not good when it looks like the race with Texas will be as tight as a gnat’s anus. Last night he was doing his Matt Cain imitation and pitching BP to a grateful Pirate lineup, leaving an assortment of mush up and centered, not missing any bats. Poor Coco’s not young anymore, and all that running around chasing rockets into the gaps probably had him sleeping like a baby on the plane back to Oakland.

Boston is in town tomorrow. They have scheduled the reinvented Lackey, the troubled Lester, and the ever popular Undecided. What concerns me is that the Boston offense is on a roll right now, with Ortiz anchoring a side that can hurt you 1-9. The A’s have their best guys going: Parker, Griffin, and El Capitan, and I’m told that management has called off the leopard pack to allow the giant rodents free rein in the visitor’s dressing room. Any indication of a bad series and there could be sewage.

Finally, what was up with Jeff Sz. of the Cubs yesterday? I haven’t seen anybody pitch like he did to the Angels all year. Do they not have scouting reports on the North side? Or can’t Jeff read? Two pitches in identical down and in locations to Hamilton, stick-straight fastballs up to Pujols and Trumbo…come on. The last time Hamilton got a pitch on the inner half in the AL West was 2011. We certainly don’t want it to become a 3 team race in the 2nd half.

13. janessa31888 - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I really do hate the Indians bullpen. Ruined my night.

14. cavemanna - Jul 11, 2013 at 3:57 PM