Jul 11, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Jarred Cosart has struggled with his control at Triple-A, walking 50 batters in 93 innings, but the Astros have decided that the 23-year-old right-hander is ready for the majors and he’ll make his debut tomorrow against the Rays.
Cosart was acquired from the Phillies as part of the haul for Hunter Pence in 2011 and MLB.com ranked him as the No. 89 prospect coming into the season. Aside from the spotty control he’s pitched very well at Triple-A with a 3.29 ERA and 93 strikeouts in 93 innings, holding opponents to a .213 batting average.
Cosart has electric raw stuff, throwing a heavy mid-90s fastball that generates tons of ground balls and very few homers. He hasn’t fared particularly well of late, allowing five runs and four walks in his final Triple-A start last week, and the Rays are a relatively tough debut matchup with the fifth-best offense in the league.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)