MLB’s top-selling jerseys: Buster Posey and Mariano Rivera

Jul 11, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT

buster posey jersey

MLB.com released a list of their best-selling jerseys and Giants catcher Buster Posey is No. 1, followed by Yankees closer Mariano Rivera.

Here’s the top 20, which is based on online sales via MLB.com in 2013:

15. Clayton Kershaw, Los Angeles Dodgers
16. Sergio Romo, San Francisco Giants
17. Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh Pirates
18. Yu Darvish, Texas Rangers
19. Pablo Sandoval, San Francisco Giants
20. Justin Verlander, Detroit Tigers

Of those 20 players 11 of them are from the Dodgers, Giants, Yankees, and Mets. And interestingly, of the nine guys to win MVP awards in the last five years (Albert Pujols did it twice) Ryan Braun, Josh Hamilton, Joe Mauer, Joey Votto, and Pujols fail to crack the top 20.

1. losangelesfan - Jul 11, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I’d like to bust her posey.

• temporarilyexiled - Jul 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Hopefully, you really are an LA fan, so that I don’t mind you taking the heat.

That said, I’ve heard worse tasteless puns…I’ve probably made most of them.

Just remember, it matters who “her” is.

Your desire might be ill-advised.

2. mvpolamalu - Jul 11, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Wow, Ryu over kershaw?

• wonkypenguin - Jul 11, 2013 at 3:02 PM

My guess is that South Korea may not be buying as many Kershaw jerseys.

3. crispybasil - Jul 11, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Fashion fact: a Mariano Rivera jersey is classy enough to wear to a black tie event.

4. Jorge Lancerio - Jul 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Moral of the story: If you play in California or New York, you’re gonna make a lot of money.

• Caught Looking - Jul 11, 2013 at 3:27 PM

The players do not receive the money directly from licensing of their names and numbers. Through an individual agreement with each player, the MLBPA holds the exclusive, worldwide right to use, license and sublicense the names, numbers, nicknames, likenesses, signatures and other personal indicia of active MLB players.

Revenues are then utilized to pay expenses of the program and to support MLBPA programs. Upon authorization of the MLBPA board each year, proceeds after appropriate deductions, are then distributed to the players on a pro rata basis.

5. tablescrappy - Jul 11, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I walked by a giants team store the other day. I’m not a giants fan, but as a camping enthusiast I was intrigued that they had tents on sale. I bought one – about $60 for a very roomy four-person dome. We took it for a spin last weekend. Middle of the night, after I’d buttoned up the door (most tents have zippers these days, but hey, it was on sale) and gotten cozy in my sleeping bag, my kid starts playing with the flashlight and asks me why there’s a big #48 on the side of the tent. Only then (and after a little investigation revealed what looked and smelled like a large mayonnaise stain) did I realize…

• redux23 - Jul 11, 2013 at 4:16 PM

usually, most of the sandoval jabs are pretty low-brow here. this one was pretty decent.

• temporarilyexiled - Jul 11, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I’m still fond of last year’s comment on a Bay Area site that said he looked like he had done his rehab on a taco truck.

6. therealbigben - Jul 11, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Are the Jeter and Rivera jerseys on clearance? who is still buying the old guys jerseys?

• kcroyal - Jul 11, 2013 at 4:41 PM

It’s cool to be old school. Or that’s what I though those kids were saying. My hearing isn’t what it used to be.

• therealbigben - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM

just seems like every Yankee fan out there has had 15 years or so to get these guys jerseys. That’s why its surprising to me

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 12, 2013 at 9:42 AM

You know the player is good when his career lasts longer than the first dozen batches of jerseys with his name on them.

7. ncm42 - Jul 11, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I prefer old school, because I feel weird wearing the jersey of some kid that is 15 years my junior.

That said, where’s the Crush Davis love, O’s fans?

8. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:24 PM

What? Nobody from the bluejays on this list? Come on? Not even Josh Johnson? I figured his big “1” win so far this season would have people flocking to buy his jersey!! Woooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

9. fm31970 - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Proof that MLB teams are developing star talent in multiple markets. Keep it up.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5064)