Jul 11, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Carlos Martinez was up with the Cardinals earlier this season, appearing in seven games as a reliever before they sent the 21-year-old top prospect back to the minors to resume starting.
Martinez thrived at Triple-A, posting a 1.98 ERA in eight starts, and now the Cardinals have called him back up.
For now he seems likely to work out of the bullpen again, but Martinez is one of the best starter prospects in baseball–he cracked Baseball America‘s top 40 overall before the season and has upped his stock since then–so it’s only a matter of time before he joins the rotation.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 44
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 60
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)