Jul 11, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Carlos Martinez was up with the Cardinals earlier this season, appearing in seven games as a reliever before they sent the 21-year-old top prospect back to the minors to resume starting.
Martinez thrived at Triple-A, posting a 1.98 ERA in eight starts, and now the Cardinals have called him back up.
For now he seems likely to work out of the bullpen again, but Martinez is one of the best starter prospects in baseball–he cracked Baseball America‘s top 40 overall before the season and has upped his stock since then–so it’s only a matter of time before he joins the rotation.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 10
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)