Jul 11, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
Carlos Martinez was up with the Cardinals earlier this season, appearing in seven games as a reliever before they sent the 21-year-old top prospect back to the minors to resume starting.
Martinez thrived at Triple-A, posting a 1.98 ERA in eight starts, and now the Cardinals have called him back up.
For now he seems likely to work out of the bullpen again, but Martinez is one of the best starter prospects in baseball–he cracked Baseball America‘s top 40 overall before the season and has upped his stock since then–so it’s only a matter of time before he joins the rotation.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 7
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (92)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (81)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)