Jul 11, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Carlos Martinez was up with the Cardinals earlier this season, appearing in seven games as a reliever before they sent the 21-year-old top prospect back to the minors to resume starting.
Martinez thrived at Triple-A, posting a 1.98 ERA in eight starts, and now the Cardinals have called him back up.
For now he seems likely to work out of the bullpen again, but Martinez is one of the best starter prospects in baseball–he cracked Baseball America‘s top 40 overall before the season and has upped his stock since then–so it’s only a matter of time before he joins the rotation.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 13
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)