Jul 11, 2013, 5:59 PM EST
Carlos Gonzalez isn’t too banged up to play for the Rockies or to participate in next week’s All-Star Game, but due to his finger injury, he has opted out of Monday’s Home Run Derby.
Replacing Gonzalez on the NL squad is Pittsburgh’s Pedro Alvarez. Alvarez is tied with the Phillies’ Domonic Brown for second place in the league with 23 homers, one behind Gonzalez. Yet both Alvarez and Brown went unpicked as NL captain initially selected Michael Cuddyer and Bryce Harper to round out his four-man squad.
Alvarez probably was the best choice of the options. While Brown has just as many homers, his average homer has been estimated at just 380.5 feet. That ranks dead last among all players with at least 10 homers, according to Hittrackeronline.com. Alvarez comes in at 406.7 feet, which, while not approaching Justin Upton‘s MLB-best 428.0 mark, is at least above the median. He also leads the majors with nine “no doubt” home runs, as hittrackeronline describes them.
The 26-year-old Alvarez is a first-time All-Star this year. He’s recovered from a lousy April to hit .253/.315/.521 with 60 RBI in 82 games to date.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 21
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 29
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 94
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)