Freddie Freeman, Steve Delabar win the All-Star Game Final Vote

Jul 11, 2013, 5:26 PM EDT

source:

“You love me! You really love me!”

Freddie Freeman of the Atlanta Braves and Steve Delabar of the Toronto Blue Jays were chosen by fans as the winners of the 2013 All-Star Game Final Vote.

I gotta say, I’m rather shocked at the NL result. I woulda thought that Yasiel PuigMania would have carried the day. And that if it didn’t, someone at Major League Baseball would turn this into some Soviet-era election in which the glorious voice of the proletariat cried out for Puig to win despite the longest of odds or something. Guess not.

Not that we should take too much from this. The voting procedures for this were even more gonzo than the regular All-Star voting, with Twitter hashtags counting as votes in the final hours before the polls closed. That, combined with open campaigning made this something less than a scientific referendum.

But it may be a broad referendum on what people want the All-Star Game to be. I feel like a Puig vote is a vote for the All-Star Game as spectacle and excitement and what people may want to see, regardless of some measure of merit. I feel like a Freeman vote is one in which people look at overall value (and Freeman, having played all year has added more aggregate value to the Braves than Puig has to the Dodgers) and decided to reward a greater body of work over a big splash. Maybe this voting is even too silly to determine that. I don’t know.

But I do know that, barring Puig as an injury replacement in the days leading up to the All-Star game, he’s going to be sitting at home and watching on TV. And Jonathan Papelbon will be happy.

As for Delabar: relief pitcher beats out other relief pitchers and it’s hard for me to work up much emotion of any kind about that. But at least this relief pitcher has a great story, so that’s nice.

1. theinconvienenttruth - Jul 11, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Unfortunately, we’ll hear more about Puig during the All Star festivities than Freeman.

2. booty2juiced - Jul 11, 2013 at 5:37 PM

So everyone isnt a Puig dick rider like ESPN. Hmmm

• bfunk1978 - Jul 12, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I liked this comment better when I read it as “duck rider” and I imagined something far different than what you said.

3. missthemexpos - Jul 11, 2013 at 5:37 PM

A lot of high expectations for the Jays this year and some big time under performances, but not with Delabar, a well deserved trip to the All-Star game.

• yahmule - Jul 11, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Very well deserved.

I miss them Expos, too.

4. kingscourt25 - Jul 11, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Adrian Gonzalez is having a better season than Freddie Freeman

• theinconvienenttruth - Jul 11, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I’m sure you could provide a valid argument for both Freeman and Gonzo but Puig took all of Dodgers Nation vote

• downwithespn - Jul 11, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Puig WAR: 2.6; Gonzalez 2.2.

What’s the valid argument, again?

• alexandercartwright - Jul 11, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I demand to know where the Hanley Ramirez outcry is

• kingscourt25 - Jul 11, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Kenley Jansen too

• bravojawja - Jul 11, 2013 at 8:00 PM

on the DL

• sassysnaggletooth - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:10 PM

I’d say that Freeman and Gonzo are having very similar seasons. Except, the Braves are in 1st place.

• don444 - Jul 12, 2013 at 4:25 AM

Uh, not really. Gonzalez is still the better player and will likely end up having the better season, but their numbers are very similar across the board at this point.

• don444 - Jul 13, 2013 at 2:48 AM

I up and 13 down? Whatever, some gaggle of morons on here must have assumed I was replying to the post directly above mine when in reality I basically said exactly what he said and was actually replying to the same guy (kingscourt25) he initially replied to.

5. lawson1974 - Jul 11, 2013 at 5:39 PM

All these “manias” are generally media concoctions. Guys like this blogger and radio talkers have to talk and obsess about something all day. But the average fan in Cincinnati or Philadelphia couldn’t care less.

• alexo0 - Jul 11, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I think you could, or you wouldn’t have bothered to write that comment.

6. yahmule - Jul 11, 2013 at 5:41 PM

This is no surprise. The people who are rooting against this kid were unbelievably motivated.

If only they used their power for niceness, instead of evil.

Congratulations, Freddie!

• xtech9 - Jul 11, 2013 at 6:01 PM

This might be the first time in history that the fans in the NL West (besides the Dodgers) united as one to keep PigMania from reaching the All Star game. As a Dbacks fan I would like to thank you in making this happen.

• bronco58lb - Jul 11, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Congratulations. The real losers are the Mets fans that shelled out several hundred dollars to watch the riveting ninth inning matchup between Jason Grilli and Jason Castro. It’s nice to see the fans want to see average players like Freddie Freeman (ninth among NL 1B in ISO at a premium slugging position) instead of an electifying talent that has more tools than a hardware store. I bet when Freddie Freeman’s name is announced by the CitiField PA when he comes to bat, it will hardly register an applause or cheer among the crowd and won’t even stir a slight increase in the Nielsen’s.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:06 PM

“The real losers are Mets fans…”
        I’m a Mets fan…and you are absolutely right.

• skids003 - Jul 12, 2013 at 10:26 AM

You’re right, Mets fans are losers. Ever since Chipper took it to you the first time.

• hockeyfan28 - Jul 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Also shows the amount of fans the Atlanta Braves have all over the country something tells me if he played for the Pirates or Diamondbacks Puig would have won the voting

7. banksatdixie - Jul 11, 2013 at 5:47 PM

What the fuck is a Steve Delabar?

• proudlycanadian - Jul 11, 2013 at 5:50 PM

A much better person than you will ever be.

• chacochicken - Jul 11, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Well, if you read the article, you’d find out he is an All-star relief pitcher.

• dawgpoundmember - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I thumbs up PC and yea Chaco but Craig made this “top story” a NL story and gave one line to Delabar. I think PC watched the tigers jays series but didn’t hear Mario talk about how Leyland wanted these guys as final votes because they are never all stars, even tho they should be. Can we give bank a break?

8. geoknows - Jul 11, 2013 at 6:03 PM

You’re right the last time, Craig: This voting is too silly to make any sweeping conclusions regarding what the results say about what people want the All Star game to be. Not when a person can vote as many times as they feel like clicking a button. Ballot box-stuffing tells us nothing – except that maybe Braves fans have more free time than Dodgers fans.

At any rate, I couldn’t be happier, simply because I was really tired of ESPN’s sickening and nonstop pimping for Puig, both on their website and on air. Serves ‘em right, and judging from some of the reaction I think that it actually cost him some votes.

9. chacochicken - Jul 11, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Miguel Montero thinks Freeman should spell his first name with a “y” instead of the “ie”.

10. yahmule - Jul 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Why do people watch ESPN if it pisses them off?

I quit watching their network (unless they are actually broadcasting a game) years ago and the lack of stupid bullshit in my life is noticeable.

• sassysnaggletooth - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I watch for the WNBA highlights.

11. heyblueyoustink - Jul 11, 2013 at 6:20 PM

And that little Puiggy went home.

12. aldog83 - Jul 11, 2013 at 6:46 PM

The Best thing for Puig was to be voted out.

He is an amazing talent. But the word is he can be wild
    In his personal life…and the ALL Star game would have
    Blown up his legend and ego even more.

I hope he uses this to stay grounded and that he uses
    This as motivation to get better….play the rest of the year
    As the ALL STAR we hope he is……

So next year it will be a shame that he did not play the 2013
    All Star game!

Prove them Wrong!!!

Give MLB HELL the rest of the year!!!!

Viva Puig!

Go DODGERS!

( Suck it Paplebon!)

• jimeejohnson - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Agreed. If he’s the real deal he will only improve.

• Anoesis - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Couldn’t agree more, aldog. What I find highly ironic is that “America’s Game” uses a voting system that would make a tin-pot, third-world dictator blush.

13. tbutler704 - Jul 11, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Freeman has me to thank for this. I voted for him about 100 times on multiple IP addresses! #beatLA

• bronco58lb - Jul 11, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Fifth in the All-Star starter voting among NL first basemen. Then he goes onto to break the Final Vote tally record while Puig surpasses the previous high too? Major haterade. I hope you had a girl’s face in your lap while you were wasting time with your worthless cause.

• misterj167 - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Truth is there are some great first basemen in the NL (I mean Joey Votto and Paul Goldschmidt, come on), so no surprise Freddie wasn’t in contention for first place. I love Freddie, I love his enthusiasm, his clutch hitting, and one of the best stretches I’ve ever seen. But there’s a lot of competition out there.

Glad he made the team, that’s all I can say…

• deaninajijic - Jul 11, 2013 at 7:07 PM

You could of voted 100 times from the same IP address and the friggin page is still up so you can keep voting. Sorry nobody thought enough of your braves in the original vote!!!!!!

• xtech9 - Jul 11, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Thank you for your contribution the world outside of Los Angeles thanks you.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM

What world outside of Los Angeles? You mean New Yawk?

• greymares - Jul 11, 2013 at 7:39 PM

pretty sure there was a toronto fan/atlanta fan voting collusion that got both guys elected. By the way i’m ok with that what kind of honest election gives anybody more than 1 vote.

14. vr30 - Jul 11, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Quality over Quantity. The quality of Puig’s play is far better than Freeman’s. To put this in perspective I read this before yesterday’s game to put things in perspective “If Yasiel Puig hit .220/.344/.299 with 10 doubles & one home run over his next 195 plate appearances, he’d match Freddie Freeman”

15. wpjohnson - Jul 11, 2013 at 8:30 PM

All of those pseudo-athletes at ESPN are heart broken. Isn’t that wonderful?

16. elmo - Jul 11, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Wow, there’s already an anti-Puig backlash. That might have happened even quicker than Bryce Harper resentment last year.

17. nsauser - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Squeal Puig! He’ll have his chance, < 50 at bats in the majors won't do it.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:11 PM

No real fan of this great game can argue with that.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Except for the squeal part. I agree with it, but…!

18. harrycanyon - Jul 12, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Puig had a great MONTH. Let him do something for a entended amount of time before you put him on a pedestal. Being a lifelong Braves fan, I am kinda biased for Freeman.(but he deserves it, he makes a low salary compared to the superstars on our team, and out plays them everyday. 500k a year, and Uggla and BJ make 13mil EACH a year). Puig will earn his way to many all-star games if he keeps the play up. Good luck to everyone.

19. scdocal - Jul 12, 2013 at 2:44 AM

What a bunch of bitches. Puig no doubt a solid talent but Jeff franceour has similar numbers after 30 games in. Freeman is the MVP of the braves a first place team. Yeah he got same numbers as Gonzalez but he was also injured for two weeks. To say that ATL fans have nothing better to do is exactly what happened. What a little bitch statement. Take ur ball and go home. Well done Freddie couldn’t have happened to a better guy

20. scdocal - Jul 12, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Gonzalez is not the better player. Freeman was hurt for two weeks and yes they have similar numbers but freeman plays a better first base. Gonzalez just gets more press cause he in LA. We will see at the end of this year.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3959)