Jul 11, 2013, 11:07 AM EST
I haven’t seen it yet, but apparently last night on MLB Network Mitch Williams was talking about pitchers needing to throw inside to be effective. And one of the examples he used to show what happens when you don’t pitch inside? Brandon McCarthy getting hit with that comebacker last year. McCarthy, quite understandably, didn’t take too kindly to that example:
“If you don’t pitch in, this is what’s gonna happen.” – Mitch Williams, during a clip of @BMcCarthy32‘s injury last year.
— Heard on MLB Tonight (@HeardOnMLBT) July 11, 2013
.@WildThingMLBN I hope the clip of me nearly dying helped you make one of your asinine points.
— Brandon McCarthy (@BMcCarthy32) July 11, 2013
Apparently Williams’ point was also made by footage of he himself being hit by a comebacker so he’ll likely defend himself by saying he gave equal time or something. Still, it seems in horrible taste to use an instance where a guy was seriously injured and, yes, could have died, to make some point about mistakes pitchers make.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)