Jul 11, 2013, 9:31 PM EDT
After reaching on an infield single with two outs in the second inning, Heyward was advancing to third base on a single by Justin Upton before he hurt himself on a slide into the bag. The 23-year-old outfielder grabbed at his hamstring while laying on the ground before eventually getting to his feet and walking off under his own power. He’s scheduled to be reevaluated tomorrow, but it certainly looked like something that could require a trip to the disabled list.
Heyward has had a disappointing first half, batting .223/.321/.367 with seven home runs and 21 RBI in 67 games. He was previously sidelined from April 21-May 16 following an emergency appendectomy. Losing Heyward for any length of time hurts, but the Braves are slated to get both Evan Gattis and Jordan Schafer back from the disabled list right after the All-Star break.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11