Jul 11, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
Sadly, the All-Star game festivities will have to go on without Joe West this year.
MLB just announced the umpiring assignments and baseball’s biggest instigator did not get the call. Instead it’ll be 30-year veteran John Hirschbeck as crew chief calling balls and strikes, along with Wally Bell (first base), Larry Vanover (second base), Paul Emmel (third base), Rob Drake (left field), and Chad Fairchild (right field).
Baseball Writers Association of America president and A’s beat reporter Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle will serve as one of the official scorers.
And while they’re not technically umpiring the All-Star game, I’m confident that West can still find a way to eject someone, Bob Davidson can find a way to call a balk, and Angel Hernandez can botch a replay call.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 9
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 55
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 70
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (147)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)