Jul 11, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
Sadly, the All-Star game festivities will have to go on without Joe West this year.
MLB just announced the umpiring assignments and baseball’s biggest instigator did not get the call. Instead it’ll be 30-year veteran John Hirschbeck as crew chief calling balls and strikes, along with Wally Bell (first base), Larry Vanover (second base), Paul Emmel (third base), Rob Drake (left field), and Chad Fairchild (right field).
Baseball Writers Association of America president and A’s beat reporter Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle will serve as one of the official scorers.
And while they’re not technically umpiring the All-Star game, I’m confident that West can still find a way to eject someone, Bob Davidson can find a way to call a balk, and Angel Hernandez can botch a replay call.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 22
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 61
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)