Jul 11, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Yu Darvish going on the disabled list means he won’t be able to participate in the All-Star game and MLB announced that Rays left-hander Matt Moore has been chosen to replace him on the American League pitching staff.
Moore finished up his first half this afternoon with 7.1 innings of three-run ball against the Twins, striking out 10 and allowing just three hits while picking up his 13th victory of the season. He goes into the break at 13-3 with a 3.44 ERA and 108 strikeouts in 107 innings and the one-time consensus top pitching prospect in baseball makes his first All-Star team at age 24.
And according to manager Joe Maddon the Rays waited to tell Moore until after the game.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 0
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)