Miguel Montero calls out Yasiel Puig for “immaturity”

Jul 11, 2013, 9:16 AM EDT

Puig face

Miguel Montero is not shy to call out other players in the media. He accused the Brewers of stealing signs in the 2011 playoffs. He railed against former teammate Trevor Bauer after Bauer was traded to Cleveland. He called Zack Greinke “chickensh**” following the brawl between the Dbacks and the Dodgers. Now he has Yasiel Puig in his sights:

“If he’s my teammate, I probably try to teach him how to behave in the big leagues,” Montero said. “He’s creating a bad reputation around the league …┬áIt’s immaturity,” he said. “It’s part of his confidence right now that everything is going his way. Everything is right for him, he feels pretty good about himself. This game pays back though, he’s going to have his bad moments out there and then he’s going to realize he needs to change.”

The beef: the other day Puig barreled Montero over at the plate. Puig was out by a mile, but as he walked back to the dugout he stared Montero down. Montero doesn’t mind the barreling, he says, but the stare was bush league, bro. And Montero says that Puig’s youth, inexperience and the fact that he’s new to baseball in the United States is no excuse, as Montero himself was a 17 year-old kid from Venezuela when he first played here.

For what it’s worth his manager Kirk Gibson — speaking while unaware of Montero’s comments — did say Puig’s youth and inexperience explained a lot and that he doesn’t consider it to be a big deal. Don Mattingly, aware of the comments, chalked it up to the ugliness between the Dodgers and Dbacks this year. Ugliness in which Puig was deeply involved.

I think this is one of those deals where if Puig isn’t off to a sizzling start no one cares, but players are probably being asked about him all the time and baseball is such that veterans are always eager to make sure rookies know their place. Oh, and of course, Montero has a motor mouth, so there’s that too.

1. yahmule - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Yasiel does need to rein in his emotions. The heat of the Dodgers/DBacks rivalry is a contributing factor to his behavior. Miguel Montero gets in way too many scrapes with other players to be giving anybody lectures about maturity.

• nsauser - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Yea, story was that Gonzo approached Puig speaking in Spanish mentioned that his family was from Cuba also and Puig just ignored him. Big Mac of all people pulled Puig aside after Gonzo walked away. Guy signed a $42 million contract, you’d think he’d be a little more grateful. Good luck with the headcase Dodgers, you deserve it!

• yahmule - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:44 AM

And if he was a Diamondback you would be blowing him.

• nsauser - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM

No, is call him out for his obvious lack of respect. I realize he may not understand what the major leagues are all about and the fact that he just came from Cuba but being disrespectful is uncalled for. #voteforFreddie!!!

• mjdkid100 - Jul 11, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Who gives a s@#! about Louis Gonzalez?

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Call a better ball game with your pitchers, then you won’t have to worry so much about Puig showing off.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Let’s not forget it was Chickenshit Montero who called for the high and tight pitch that just happened to smack Puig in the nose. And I think Puig could have really put some damage into Chickenshit if Puig was really interested in hurting him. All Puig did was push his arms into the catcher’s mitt in an attempt to dislodge the ball. Heck, watching the game, it was obvious that Chickenshit was the guy doing most of the staring.

What a joke. AZ should have been in the AL when they came into the league, but noooooooo…. Jerry Colangelo wanted that “natural” rivalry with the Dodgers.

• GoneYickitty - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:12 PM

“Chickenshit Montero”? I’ve watched him quite a bit and I can’t remember a cowardly thing he’s ever done. I’m wondering if you know what that word means.

2. chacochicken - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:28 AM

He should also say that catching is way harder, kids these days, and look at the way he dresses. Cmon, Puig was only deliberately hit in the face. 162 game season. Probably best to forget about it and try to hit about .220 for the 2nd half lest we all begin to think that Miguel is overly sensitive.

• hittfamily - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Puig was suspended in the minors, and suspended within 2 weeks of being in the majors. If I go to a new job, especially in a new country, I’m on my best behavior. I really hope this isn’t this kids best behavior

• escapingexile - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I get your point. But…. Puig wasn’t suspended in the majors.

• hittfamily - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I thought he was. My bad. If he was just fined, I amend my statement to “was disciplined”.

• nsauser - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Puig should have been suspended for the brawl. He was one of the instigators of the melee. He had some serious rage only equaled by McGwire. Kennedy is at fault because his control is awful.

• hittfamily - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I think Kennedy was very accurate that day, and hit his target on every pitch.

• yahmule - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM

See how calm you are after a 90 mph fastball clips you in the nose.

• hittfamily - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM

If I wanted t go, I’d go. I wouldn’t wait til all my team mates were already in a scrum, then come running out like a madman. If he was that angry, why wait an hour? Little man syndrome? If it was a bar fight, he’d be the coward who got hit with a bottle, then waited in the parking lot with his friends instead of grabbing a bottle and hitting back.

• nsauser - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Grienke has better control than Kennedy and he managed to hit a few Dbacks. Hell, Kennedy hit Ramirez in the first inning the other day. Kennedy is a 3rd or 4th starter at best. But look, the brawl worked out better for the Dodgers who will be in first place by the All Star break. I can’t wait until they really start buying talent.

• yahmule - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Hittfamily, not everybody is the walking embodiment of masculinity that you are. Little guys like Yasiel have to just get by however they’re able.

• hittfamily - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I have known this for years. I tell my wife this every night before she climaxes a dozen times.

He didn’t want to fight, until after the fight had been broken up. My conclusions have been drawn. You are welcome to draw your own.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM

He was disciplined after being hit in the face with a fastball.

I’m not sure what you were like as a 22 year old. But this guy is from one of those 3rd world countries and had to make it here in a rickety raft over some shark infested oceans. I consider anybody who has done that or something similar to have lived a life worthy of some benefit of doubt.

Of course, you’re free to be as judgmental as that piece of shit Montero. He’s really making a reputation of himself. Not only calling pitches high and tight and blabbing to the media about being respectful of elders and all that hogwash. Remember Chickenshit whispering sweet nothings into Greinke’s ear after Kennedy tried taking his head off? Yeah, that was so respectful. I was ready to slap him on the back through my TV.

• chacochicken - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I’m completely neutral on Puig. The kid has obviously got talent but he’s barely played professional baseball. Pitchers will catch up to him and make him chase junk. As for the personality, he’ll either adapt as he ages or he won’t and he’ll be just like dozens of other MLB players. I’m not sure Montero really needs to suggest that he is immature. The media could be creating a monster with Puig. Just too early to tell.

• nsauser - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Puig looked awful on 3Ks last night. He is going to strike out a lot when the pitchers begin to make adjustments.

• yahmule - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM

They might want to get on that already.

He’s played 35 games. He’s been hitless five times. He has 17 multi-hit games.

Maybe he’s making some adjustments, too. Or don’t you think he’s capable?

• hittfamily - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Jeff Francouer was a hell of a player 35 games in too.

• yahmule - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:07 PM

So were countless All Stars.

3. timmmah10 - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:36 AM

You jel-ly, Miguel?

4. joecool16280 - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM

So Montero is a ” motormouth” for having a personality and being outspoken? Don’t you media guys rip the ” one game at a time” guys for being vanilla?

Lighten up, Francis.

5. sleepyirv - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I don’t think Puig is the one who comes off as immature in this story.

6. psuorioles - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:48 AM

So a 22 year old kid is actually enjoying himself and showing emotions and people want to calm him down… it’s good for baseball and wish more players did walk around with a stick up their a$$… it’s a freaking game, enjoy it…

• dougwhite659 - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:22 AM

No one minds him ‘showing emotions’, the problem is what those emotions actually are. His actions tell us that he believes he can physically intimidate other players by attempting to harm them during play, and that he wants to make sure they know he is willing to hurt them if it benefits him. Next he’ll be trying to intimidate umpires, or perhaps even getting physical with them in order to keep them in line. After all, its ALL about him getting what he wants…..

• leppykahn - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Yeah, what a slippery slope. Won’t be too long until this sort of behavior manifests into genocide!

Ridiculous comment by dougwhite.

I wonder what would happen if you were intentionally hit in the face with 90 mph per hour heat?

Pissy about a staredown? Montero is a child.

7. mybrunoblog - Jul 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Sports illustrated web site had a piece last night about Puig totally blowing off Luis Gonzalez who had tried to talk to him during BP before a recent game. It sure sounded like Puig was “big leaguing” Gonzalez and it was pretty awkward by the accounts of those who witnessed it.
    Sounds to me that Puig either needs to mature a bit, or his early success is going to his head.

• yahmule - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM

McGwire set him straight immediately. No excuse for Yasiel doing that – and not because it was Luis Gonzalez – it’s wrong to treat anybody that way. I do feel like part of that is the current feud with AZ. They didn’t appreciate the way Yasiel conducted himself during that melee Ian Kennedy touched off last month and their fans have picked up on it in a big way.

To the person who says leave Yasiel alone because he’s enjoying himself playing the game, I would agree if I hadn’t seen him play so many times. Yasiel wants to win very badly and he has a tremendous amount of pride. The other day, he trued to make a catch in the gap diving away from home plate. It would have been one of the top five defensive plays anybody made all year. Alas, the ball popped out of his glove and Yasiel was rewarded with nothing but a faceful of turf for his trouble. While Either is throwing the ball back to the infield, Yasiel punches his glove 15 feet like a 12 year old. Of course, the DBacks fans loved it.

He is simply putting too much pressure on himself and making himself a target of opposing fans. I love watching the young man play ball and he has been a gift from the roto gods, but he just needs to throttle it down a little bit.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:03 AM

is this the article*? I love how no one bothered to get a comment from Puig. Maybe the guy doesn’t like talking to people during BP? Maybe the guy misses his family still in Cuba and is not interested in talking about them? Or maybe Gonzalez smelled bad?

But no, let’s immediately jump on a guy for not talking to a “Diamondback’s legend”!

*http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/395283-puig-disrespects-diamondbacks-legend?eref=fromSI

• mybrunoblog - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Instead of saying “Hi it’s nice to meet you. I can’t talk now let’s talk some other time” I’ll just ignore you and make both of us look stupid. Yeah, way to go Puig. Grow up young man, grow up.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 11, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Or Church…maybe Puig is really…truly…a cock-bite. That is a possibility.

Qualification: I don’t know this to be the case. But out of the 47 possibilities you mentioned…none of them included him potentially being a cock-bite.

8. hittfamily - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Craig — PLEASE! unban Cepts for 1 week. I would really love his take on Puig.
    Sincerely,
    TeaPartyUSA

9. daveitsgood - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM

You would think with a coaching staff made up of that many former big league ballplayers, some of them would pull Puig aside to have a chat with him about some of these things. If nothing else, at least Davy Lopes teaching him how to be a better baserunner and stop getting thrown out by 15-20 ft all the time.

• mybrunoblog - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Who says some coaches haven’t pulled him aside? You have kids? Ever deal with young people? Remember when you were young? Umm, do young men usually listen when you give them advice?

10. dougwhite659 - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM

What Montero should have done is laugh out loud at Puig as he stared him down. Nothing derails these macho idiots who think they can intimidate you with their tough-guy act as well as making them look like childish clowns in public.

11. stlouis1baseball - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I am torn. On the one hand…I really like how forthcoming Montero is.
    On the other hand…he seems like a total penishead.

12. losanginsight - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Sounds like a guy who is mad because his snakes just lost 3in a row at home to the Blue Crew. Started from the bottom now we here!

13. sdelmonte - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Seeing this story below one on Biogenesis, I read the headline at first as “immunity” instead of “immaturity.” Oy.

14. marissadenisee - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I’m a die-hard, bleed blue Dodger fan..but Puig’s “behavior” hasn’t made me so happy, either. Yeah, he’s an amazing ballplayer and I’m beyond glad he’s on the team, but now I see why they wanted him in the minors for a whole year – the experience. It’s not only his temper, but like somebody else said, it’s his habits on the field. He makes himself look like he thinks he’s the big man on the field – constantly trying to outrun bases that he clearly shouldn’t be, stealing called flies from his fellow outfielders…I really hope some of the guys are helping him out on his habits. I would hate to see something happen with all this trash talk going on between teams again.

• yahmule - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:05 AM

The thing I try and keep in mind is how far he’s come already. A little over a year ago, this guy was bobbing around in a boat, with everything he owned in the world sitting next to him in a trash bag. He hasn’t grown up with the kind of security or direction a guy like Mike Trout has had his whole life. Who knows what kind of experiences Puig had as a kid.

• mgv38 - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Agree!

15. riverace19 - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Montero is trash. Jealous of a kid with 10x the talent he’s got

16. riverace19 - Jul 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I disagree mariss…. It’s refreshing to watch someone always want to take 2 on a hit and dare catchers to throw him out. I call that ambition not cockiness

• daveitsgood - Jul 11, 2013 at 3:37 PM

When he tries to take 2 and ends up getting thrown out by 15-20 feet and acts as if he’s flabbergasted by the call, he might need to find another adjective other than ambition. I propose dumb, or foolish, or inexperienced. It probably speaks to what Montero was a little pissy about last night when Puig had an open lane to slide (even though the throw beat him, once again, by a significant amount) and goes in standing up and shoves Montero. It was bad base running to try to score in the first place and then top it off with the shove. In his 30+ something games, how many examples are there of him being out on the basepaths by a significant distance because of some bad baserunning decisions? At least the Harper meme about cockiness has died down some and if he tries to take two and is thrown out, its usually a bang bang play.

• jm91rs - Jul 11, 2013 at 3:49 PM

If you’re a fan of the Dodgers there’s nothing refreshing about watching a guy run his team out of innings. It’s not like he’s costing them a lot of games with this “ambition”, but how many times does it have to happen before someone on the team just blows up and there’s a heated argument in the dugout? Love the enthusiasm, not the stupidity.

17. pauleee - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Did somebody just mention a stare? Like the one to Bumgarner, WHILE striking out for the 3rd time last week? Tin-foil hat, indeed.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Did somebody mention being 22? Did somebody mention coming from Cuba in a raft? Did somebody mention 1st world problems really don’t mean a damn? Yeah, Pauleee, use that Chickenshit Montero as your supposed support system.

You, kid, are funny.

• pauleee - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Morning, Koufax,

I’m not a kid (year 50), and yes I understand he’s just 22 and everything he’s been through. Lacking a little maturity or being rash is one thing, but there seems to be a little anger behind him. I’m not a Dodger fan, but can appreciate a player with talent. He has it in abundance, but talent can become unrailed if the head isn’t right. As I said before, I hope this isn’t the case.

I don’t need Montero to support me. Others are seeing it (anectdotal evidence above) and even the announcers of the Dodger-Giant game made comments about the 2 throws he air-mailed during that game, for no other reason other than to show off.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:43 PM

You’re talking about a stare. And then you associate that stare with the absolute worst in humanity. But that it’s all logical because, you know, the guy must be a hothead and a showboat and totally, completely immature since Joe Buck caught him overthrowomg his cutoff man.

As a fan, I want my players to get better. I want them to mature, but I do not make judgment calls based on one game, or one image, or even two games and two images.

• pauleee - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Absolute worst of humanity!? I think I made a reference to Milton Bradley (as a joke). Apparently my crime is one of hyperbole. You can look it up in the thread about him making the All_Star team. I simply pointed out something I saw that struck me funny. And I stated that I hoped he wasn’;t a hothead.

BTW I am not a Giants fan either if this is where the acrimony is coming from.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 11, 2013 at 2:00 PM

There is no acrimony here. I just find it incredible when folks like to jump to the absolute worst conclusions about people whom they don’t know or even follow as a fan. You’re free to jump to all the conclusions you want, btw (we all do it), but on a message board, you’ve got to expect some push back in response.

Just remember that folks are being shot dead because of things like Stares and Attitude.

• pauleee - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:14 PM

And as far as overthrow the cutoff man:

1st time, threw it on the fly to home, when he was in no position to come close to an out, and the guy at 2nd didn’t even tag to go to 3rd because that was the logical place for him to throw to and if he HAD thrown there, he had a chance for the assist.

2nd time, from nearly the warning track, same type of throw to third, no harm no foul there but he wouldn’t have beat Jose Molina to the bag (hell he wouldn’t have caught Bengie).

With his arm strength, he would have been better served by throwing a rope that could have been cut off, than a looping throw high in the air. But then, he really wasn’t looking for an out on ether occasion, was he?

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Oh, I thought you were referring to the Tin Foil Hat comment which was made about you considering the stare from Puig as being the first step towards him one day beating his wife ala Milton Bradley.

I guess I wasn’t supposed to remember why I mentioned you get great reception with that Tin Foil Hat.

So it goes.

• pauleee - Jul 11, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Yikes! didn’t mean to insinuate a wife-beating in the least. I guess Bradley was a very bad choice to reference, I simply used him because of his on field antics.

Maybe I should have been clearer, maybe we all shouldn’t read more into these comments than there really is.

18. koufaxmitzvah - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:48 AM

That’s Chickenshit Montero for you. What a douche.

AZ should be in the AL.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 11, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I agree Sandy. They should be in the AL. If not when they joined MLB…before Houston was forced to. And for what it’s worth…I haven’t had the chance to see Puig play yet. I am looking forward to that time coming….hopefully soon.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I miss having the Houston Astros in the NL West. If you and me ruled the world, Lou…. There would still be problems, but at least everybody would just get stoned.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Absolutely…and the problems wouldn’t seem so large. Inhale…exhale…I just got an _ in the mail!

19. derailone76 - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Another D-Bags player running his mouth? I figured Montero would be more worried about trying to avoid being a four game sweep by Puig and The Dodgers tonight.

• lancelotofthelake2013 - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Dodgers are playing the Rockies tonight. Just thought you should know.

• nsauser - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Typical Dodger fan, no idea of the schedule.

20. josiahschwartz - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM

maybe Montero should worry more about his .219 average and his 25% caught stealing rate. This sounds like sour grapes to me. We know nothing about Puig and his background. We do know that Montero is whiny little you know what who talks a big game for a guy who is having a terrible season.

• yahmule - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM

You know, I hadn’t even considered the reason Montero is so chippy this year is because he’s been awful for most of the season.

21. lancelotofthelake2013 - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Sounds like the whiny Diamondbacks are coming to that dawning realization their time at the top of the NL West is coming to an end. Face it! The Dodgers are the better team when healthy and all the words in the world will never change that little fact. So shove it “miggy” you little twerp.

22. rabarker - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Puig is 22 and has a way to go, obviously. In many respects, he is a huge diamond in the rough.

Who knows at this juncture if or how soon he might begin to grow up? No doubt he has the physical tools and natural ability to make it big, assuming he has what it takes to learn from those youthful, naive mistakes to take advantage of that natural talent.

Hopefully, for his future MLB and the Dodger’s fortunes, he will prove smart enough to take advice from his coaches and teammates, as say Jackie Robinson must have done. Puig should simply ignore the opposing teams’ and media comments and, instead, listen to those who count from the Dodgers organization.

Back in the day of REALLY competitive players like Gibson, Drysdale, Snider, Mays, Marichal, Williams, etc. those guys considered it unthinkable to fraternize with members of the opposing team before and during game day. Maybe in that respect Puig is a throwback to those guys and those heydays of baseball. Obviously, the recent confrontations and ensuing bad blood between the Diamondbacks and Dodgers didn’t help Puig’s interest to converse with Gonzales, his perceived “enemy.”

23. titansrst - Jul 11, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Montero as a point or two but what is most immature here is HIS handling of the situation through the clods called the media. If he believes a certain way, a man to man talk would be the way to go because it is no one else’s business what Montero feels about Puig. Maybe Montero’s actions are well intended, but the way they have emerged makes him like like a two-year-old who just lost his Jack in the Box to his pre-school buddy. But that’s not the way to go, of course. We’d rather read and listen to mean things about each other than mature, gracious things.

Three legends off to Cooperstown