Jul 11, 2013, 9:16 AM EST
Miguel Montero is not shy to call out other players in the media. He accused the Brewers of stealing signs in the 2011 playoffs. He railed against former teammate Trevor Bauer after Bauer was traded to Cleveland. He called Zack Greinke “chickensh**” following the brawl between the Dbacks and the Dodgers. Now he has Yasiel Puig in his sights:
“If he’s my teammate, I probably try to teach him how to behave in the big leagues,” Montero said. “He’s creating a bad reputation around the league … It’s immaturity,” he said. “It’s part of his confidence right now that everything is going his way. Everything is right for him, he feels pretty good about himself. This game pays back though, he’s going to have his bad moments out there and then he’s going to realize he needs to change.”
The beef: the other day Puig barreled Montero over at the plate. Puig was out by a mile, but as he walked back to the dugout he stared Montero down. Montero doesn’t mind the barreling, he says, but the stare was bush league, bro. And Montero says that Puig’s youth, inexperience and the fact that he’s new to baseball in the United States is no excuse, as Montero himself was a 17 year-old kid from Venezuela when he first played here.
For what it’s worth his manager Kirk Gibson — speaking while unaware of Montero’s comments — did say Puig’s youth and inexperience explained a lot and that he doesn’t consider it to be a big deal. Don Mattingly, aware of the comments, chalked it up to the ugliness between the Dodgers and Dbacks this year. Ugliness in which Puig was deeply involved.
I think this is one of those deals where if Puig isn’t off to a sizzling start no one cares, but players are probably being asked about him all the time and baseball is such that veterans are always eager to make sure rookies know their place. Oh, and of course, Montero has a motor mouth, so there’s that too.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 170
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (172)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)