Jul 11, 2013, 9:16 AM EDT
Miguel Montero is not shy to call out other players in the media. He accused the Brewers of stealing signs in the 2011 playoffs. He railed against former teammate Trevor Bauer after Bauer was traded to Cleveland. He called Zack Greinke “chickensh**” following the brawl between the Dbacks and the Dodgers. Now he has Yasiel Puig in his sights:
“If he’s my teammate, I probably try to teach him how to behave in the big leagues,” Montero said. “He’s creating a bad reputation around the league … It’s immaturity,” he said. “It’s part of his confidence right now that everything is going his way. Everything is right for him, he feels pretty good about himself. This game pays back though, he’s going to have his bad moments out there and then he’s going to realize he needs to change.”
The beef: the other day Puig barreled Montero over at the plate. Puig was out by a mile, but as he walked back to the dugout he stared Montero down. Montero doesn’t mind the barreling, he says, but the stare was bush league, bro. And Montero says that Puig’s youth, inexperience and the fact that he’s new to baseball in the United States is no excuse, as Montero himself was a 17 year-old kid from Venezuela when he first played here.
For what it’s worth his manager Kirk Gibson — speaking while unaware of Montero’s comments — did say Puig’s youth and inexperience explained a lot and that he doesn’t consider it to be a big deal. Don Mattingly, aware of the comments, chalked it up to the ugliness between the Dodgers and Dbacks this year. Ugliness in which Puig was deeply involved.
I think this is one of those deals where if Puig isn’t off to a sizzling start no one cares, but players are probably being asked about him all the time and baseball is such that veterans are always eager to make sure rookies know their place. Oh, and of course, Montero has a motor mouth, so there’s that too.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)