Jul 11, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
As Mark Sheldon of MLB.com notes, Hanigan received a cortisone shot after sitting out Monday’s game and caught Tony Cingrani on Tuesday, but the soreness has lingered. This will be his second stint on the disabled list this season, as he missed time with a strained right oblique and a sore right thumb from late April to early May. The 32-year-old is batting just .193/.293/.276 with two home runs and 14 RBI in 46 games this season, so it’s been a disappointing season all around.
Mesoraco isn’t 100 percent right now either, as he’s been nursing back spasms, but he should get the bulk of the work behind the plate in the short-term. The Reds have called up Corky Miller to replace Hanigan on the active roster.
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 0
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 17
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 18
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)