Jul 11, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
As Mark Sheldon of MLB.com notes, Hanigan received a cortisone shot after sitting out Monday’s game and caught Tony Cingrani on Tuesday, but the soreness has lingered. This will be his second stint on the disabled list this season, as he missed time with a strained right oblique and a sore right thumb from late April to early May. The 32-year-old is batting just .193/.293/.276 with two home runs and 14 RBI in 46 games this season, so it’s been a disappointing season all around.
Mesoraco isn’t 100 percent right now either, as he’s been nursing back spasms, but he should get the bulk of the work behind the plate in the short-term. The Reds have called up Corky Miller to replace Hanigan on the active roster.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)