Jul 11, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
It wasn’t too long ago that we were hearing reports that Alex Rodriguez might beat Derek Jeter back from the disabled list. Well, that obviously didn’t happen. But now CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman is hearing that A-Rod might not even be ready when his 20-day rehab clock expires later this month.
As far as his rehab from his second extensive hip operation is concerned, Rodriguez is said to be experiencing “regular soreness” and although he is not in pain, even people close to him say he is “definitely not ready” for the big leagues with only 10 days to go in the rehab process. Meanwhile, Rodriguez, who turns 38 later this month, speaks hopefully about his return to the field, suggesting to friends he’d expect to move up from Class A Tampa to Double-A Trenton sometime next week with an eye on July 22, which is the day after his allotted 20-day rehab expires. If he isn’t ready for that game, that would be a major setback, as he can’t simply re-start rehab but must wait five more days to re-start rehab.
“I don’t think anybody thinks he’ll be back then. Yankees people don’t think he’s up to it physically,” one source said.
Rodriguez, who had hip surgery in January, began his rehab assignment back on June 30. The 37-year-old hasn’t been able to shake the rust at the plate quite yet, as he’s just 2-for-15 (.133) with zero extra-base hits, one RBI and three strikeouts in seven games between Class A Charleston and High-A Tampa. His game tonight was rained out.
While the timeline for his return is looking cloudy at the moment, Rodriguez will reportedly meet with MLB investigators tomorrow about his alleged connections to Biogenesis. It’s unlikely that much will come out of it, as he’s expected to use his “Jenkins” rights and essentially plead the fifth.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 0
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 35
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 30
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)