Jul 11, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
Just three days after returning from a right thumb injury, Ryan Braun has been placed on the bereavement list due to a family medical issue. The Brewers will announce a corresponding move after tonight’s game against the Diamondbacks, so they’ll play short-handed in the interim.
Braun is permitted to be on bereavement leave for a minimum of three days and a maximum of seven. The Brewers have four games left before the All-Star break, which means he’ll be eligible to return on Sunday. However, it’s not clear if he’ll be ready to return by then.
Braun was activated from the disabled list Monday and went 1-for-3 in his return to action on Tuesday before sitting out yesterday. The 29-year-old outfielder is batting .304/.380/.507 with nine home runs and 36 RBI in 58 games this season.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)