Jul 11, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
Just three days after returning from a right thumb injury, Ryan Braun has been placed on the bereavement list due to a family medical issue. The Brewers will announce a corresponding move after tonight’s game against the Diamondbacks, so they’ll play short-handed in the interim.
Braun is permitted to be on bereavement leave for a minimum of three days and a maximum of seven. The Brewers have four games left before the All-Star break, which means he’ll be eligible to return on Sunday. However, it’s not clear if he’ll be ready to return by then.
Braun was activated from the disabled list Monday and went 1-for-3 in his return to action on Tuesday before sitting out yesterday. The 29-year-old outfielder is batting .304/.380/.507 with nine home runs and 36 RBI in 58 games this season.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)