Jul 11, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
When the Cubs signed right-hander Scott Baker to a one-year, $5.5 million contract over the winter, they were hoping that he would be fully recovered from Tommy John surgery by the early part of April. It didn’t turn out that way, as he suffered a setback with his elbow during his first Cactus League start and has yet to throw a pitch for the club this year. However, he could contribute soon.
According to Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com, Baker will begin a minor league rehab assignment Sunday with Low-A Lake County. Pitchers are permitted to spend 30 days on a rehab assignment and Baker figures to need most of it in order to get stretched out, but he could be an option for the Cubs’ rotation by mid-August if all goes well.
Baker, who had Tommy John surgery last April, owns a 4.15 ERA over 958 innings in the majors. While it has been a lost season until this point, the 31-year-old could head into free agency on a positive note.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
Garrett Richards had surgery to repair a torn patellar tendon in his left knee, meaning he’ll be out between six and nine months.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
The frustrating blackout restrictions could come to an end as early as 2015, according to Maury Brown of Forbes.
Aug 22, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Felix Hernandez has struck out 200-plus batters in each of the last six seasons, something no other starting pitcher will have done when the season is over.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
Mike Minor is on point in Cincinnati against the Reds on Friday night.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
The Giants don’t have any plans to move Buster Posey out from behind the plate just yet, even though his numbers are much better as a first baseman.
Aug 22, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
The Dodgers’ Triple-A affiliate will reportedly move from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma for the 2015 season.
Aug 22, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Kyle Lohse was dealing with a sore right ankle, but is expected to rejoin the Brewers’ rotation on Monday to start against the Padres.
Aug 22, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Manny Machado’s season is likely over, as he is expected to undergo season-ending knee surgery within a week, according to a report.
Aug 22, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
According to Peter Gammons, the Orioles and Yankees are “claiming everyone” on waivers, which will make it difficult for the Angels to improve their starting rotation after losing Garrett Richards.
Aug 22, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT
His latest, a solo shot off Orioles right-hander Kevin Gausman.
Aug 22, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Sometimes the life of a player with a minor-league option remaining just isn’t fair.
Aug 22, 2014, 3:36 PM EDT
One window doesn’t work and there is no air conditioning. It has 166,000 miles on it. Which, actually, isn’t that bad. Hmmm . . .
Aug 22, 2014, 3:19 PM EDT
Oakland’s outfield depth just got a little stronger with Craig Gentry coming off the disabled list after missing the past month with a broken hand.
Aug 22, 2014, 2:57 PM EDT
Seven games in ten days for the AL West leaders
Aug 22, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
Machado suffered a sprained right knee on August 11 and the Orioles have mostly been using Chris Davis at third base in his absence.
Aug 22, 2014, 12:49 PM EDT
This has been such a fun story so far. So why NOT throw politics into it?
Aug 22, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
Robinson Cano has a $240 million contract, his new team has a better record than his old team, and he’s hitting .329 with an .865 OPS that’s slightly above his career mark.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
Can he make it to the bigs on a new path for a third time?
Aug 22, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
If any team is going to keep a manager after four straight 90-loss seasons the Twins are the one to do it.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
The Red Sox paid a lot of money to get this guy. Expect him in the Sox’ outfield early next season.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)