Jul 11, 2013, 8:22 AM EDT
Derek Jeter is … go!
Ken Rosenthal reports that Derek Jeter will rejoin the New York Yankees this afternoon and is expected to be in their lineup at either shortstop or designated hitter for today’s day game against the Royals.
This is ahead of schedule and, in many ways, contrary to the comments of Yankees officials regarding Jeter’s timetable. Just two day ago Joe Girardi said he’d like to see Jeter play back-to-back games at shortstop before being activated. He played short last night after a day off. Now it’s back to the bigs.
It’s possible the Yankees simply liked what they saw from Jeter, physically speaking and would rather have him roll up miles on the odometer in games that count rather than games that don’t. His performance on rehab wasn’t great — 1 for 9 with four walks and some shaky defense — but the point of rehab isn’t to have nice box scores. It’s to determine whether or not the player is ready to play in games.
Maybe it’s be a different story if the Yankees were playing well or had anyone who could actually hit a little bit, but it’s dire times for New York. And it’s awful hard to say that the Yankees aren’t better off with even a diminished Derek Jeter.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 1
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 19
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 36
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 42
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (186)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)