Jul 11, 2013, 8:22 AM EDT
Derek Jeter is … go!
Ken Rosenthal reports that Derek Jeter will rejoin the New York Yankees this afternoon and is expected to be in their lineup at either shortstop or designated hitter for today’s day game against the Royals.
This is ahead of schedule and, in many ways, contrary to the comments of Yankees officials regarding Jeter’s timetable. Just two day ago Joe Girardi said he’d like to see Jeter play back-to-back games at shortstop before being activated. He played short last night after a day off. Now it’s back to the bigs.
It’s possible the Yankees simply liked what they saw from Jeter, physically speaking and would rather have him roll up miles on the odometer in games that count rather than games that don’t. His performance on rehab wasn’t great — 1 for 9 with four walks and some shaky defense — but the point of rehab isn’t to have nice box scores. It’s to determine whether or not the player is ready to play in games.
Maybe it’s be a different story if the Yankees were playing well or had anyone who could actually hit a little bit, but it’s dire times for New York. And it’s awful hard to say that the Yankees aren’t better off with even a diminished Derek Jeter.
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 0
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 24
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 67
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 74
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)