Jul 11, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
There have been multiple leaks about the Biogenesis investigation in the past couple of months. The union’s head — Michael Weiner — is sick of it. He just released this statement:
“The leaking of confidential information to members of the media interferes with the thoroughness and credibility of the Biogenesis investigation. These repeated leaks threaten to harm the integrity of the Joint Drug Agreement and call into question the required level of confidentiality needed to operate a successful prevention program. It would be unfortunate if anyone prejudged the results of the investigation based on unsubstantiated leaks that are a clear violation of the Joint Drug Agreement.”
The source of the leaks is an interesting topic. I know many have assumed they’ve come from Major League Baseball — and I initially suspected this myself — but I don’t think that’s a fair assumption. Yes, it’s possible that MLB has something to gain by looking tough and talking about impending discipline, but they seem to have much more to lose if (a) they ultimately decide not to go with 100 game suspensions or if their investigation takes longer than the leaks suggest it will; or (b) if they are ultimately unsuccessful in sticking it to Ryan Braun and the gang of 20. There would be a lot of “oh, the league talked big, but …” and that just doesn’t reflect well on them.
At the same time, last year, when Ryan Braun’s appeal was leaked, many suspected Major League Baseball too. Then, however, Weiner actually gave a statement to head off that speculation, saying that the leak did not come from the league or the union. He also stopped short of pointing at the league here, when in similar instances, way back in the day, Don Fehr or someone wouldn’t have shown such restraint.
My guess: the leaks are coming from a player’s legal team or agent or something. We can’t know for sure, but that’s where I’d put my money if people took bets on such things.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 30
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 35
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 36
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 45
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)