Jul 11, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
There have been multiple leaks about the Biogenesis investigation in the past couple of months. The union’s head — Michael Weiner — is sick of it. He just released this statement:
“The leaking of confidential information to members of the media interferes with the thoroughness and credibility of the Biogenesis investigation. These repeated leaks threaten to harm the integrity of the Joint Drug Agreement and call into question the required level of confidentiality needed to operate a successful prevention program. It would be unfortunate if anyone prejudged the results of the investigation based on unsubstantiated leaks that are a clear violation of the Joint Drug Agreement.”
The source of the leaks is an interesting topic. I know many have assumed they’ve come from Major League Baseball — and I initially suspected this myself — but I don’t think that’s a fair assumption. Yes, it’s possible that MLB has something to gain by looking tough and talking about impending discipline, but they seem to have much more to lose if (a) they ultimately decide not to go with 100 game suspensions or if their investigation takes longer than the leaks suggest it will; or (b) if they are ultimately unsuccessful in sticking it to Ryan Braun and the gang of 20. There would be a lot of “oh, the league talked big, but …” and that just doesn’t reflect well on them.
At the same time, last year, when Ryan Braun’s appeal was leaked, many suspected Major League Baseball too. Then, however, Weiner actually gave a statement to head off that speculation, saying that the leak did not come from the league or the union. He also stopped short of pointing at the league here, when in similar instances, way back in the day, Don Fehr or someone wouldn’t have shown such restraint.
My guess: the leaks are coming from a player’s legal team or agent or something. We can’t know for sure, but that’s where I’d put my money if people took bets on such things.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 22
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)