Union head Michael Weiner condemns the Biogenesis leaks

Jul 11, 2013, 11:32 AM EST

Major League Baseball Players Association Executive Director Michael Weiner speaks at news conference to announce new collective bargaining agreement in New York

There have been multiple leaks about the Biogenesis investigation in the past couple of months. The union’s head — Michael Weiner — is sick of it. He just released this statement:

“The leaking of confidential information to members of the media interferes with the thoroughness and credibility of the Biogenesis investigation.  These repeated leaks threaten to harm the integrity of the Joint Drug Agreement and call into question the required level of confidentiality needed to operate a successful prevention program. It would be unfortunate if anyone prejudged the results of the investigation based on unsubstantiated leaks that are a clear violation of the Joint Drug Agreement.”

The source of the leaks is an interesting topic. I know many have assumed they’ve come from Major League Baseball — and I initially suspected this myself — but I don’t think that’s a fair assumption. Yes, it’s possible that MLB has something to gain by looking tough and talking about impending discipline, but they seem to have much more to lose if (a) they ultimately decide not to go with 100 game suspensions or if their investigation takes longer than the leaks suggest it will; or (b) if they are ultimately unsuccessful in sticking it to Ryan Braun and the gang of 20. There would be a lot of “oh, the league talked big, but …” and that just doesn’t reflect well on them.

At the same time, last year, when Ryan Braun’s appeal was leaked, many suspected Major League Baseball too. Then, however, Weiner actually gave a statement to head off that speculation, saying that the leak did not come from the league or the union. He also stopped short of pointing at the league here, when in similar instances, way back in the day, Don Fehr or someone wouldn’t have shown such restraint.

My guess: the leaks are coming from a player’s legal team or agent or something. We can’t know for sure, but that’s where I’d put my money if people took bets on such things.

1. beefytrout - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Head. Weiner. Giggle.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM

There once was an Exec from Venus
      Whose last name sounded like a…..

• philliesblow - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:50 AM

If only Weiner could fill the void in the Jays rotation due to Wang’s removal.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:22 PM

If only Weiner could fill the void

teehee

• uwsptke - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:43 PM

When did Wang get pulled?

2. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I am going out on a limb here…..but something tells me Weiner does not consider leaks along the lines of “Player X will not be charged in the Biogenesis affair” threats to the integrity of the JDA

3. chip56 - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I agree. The league has too much to lose by looking like they’re violating aspects of the Joint Drug Agreement by violating the confidentiality portion of it.

An agent might make sense in that if the suspension is thrown out on a technicality (such as violation of due process by not keeping it confidential) then the person who benefits the most is his client.

4. rbzombie - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Where is the disgust at players who are guilty of cheating thus putting the vast majority of the other union memebers (players) that do not cheat in a bad light. A vast amount of players want a more strict punishment when it comes to steroids…why dont the union?

• sdelmonte - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I have seen several articles/interviews where Weiner makes it clear he agrees with the players he represents. I think he is willing to go a lot further than Don Fehr. And a lot, lot further than Marvin Miller, who opposed the players agreeing to drug tests.

But Weiner has an obligation to make sure that the players get a fair hearing. The union represents every player in such matters, even if in the end the union will accept the suspensions after due process.

• rbzombie - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM

No doubt that every players should get a fair hearing….but when it comes to a majority of players voicing their desire to more strict penalties when it comes to steroids the union is dead silent.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM

when it comes to a majority of players voicing their desire

40 man rosters x 30 teams = 1200 players in the union at one time. I’d say a majority is 70%, so can you show the 800+ players who have given their opinion on this? I’ve heard from maybe 20.

And note, I’m sure many of the players do feel this way. However, we definitely haven’t heard from the “majority” one way or the other.

5. number42is1 - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I take multiple leaks… mostly at night… and almost always in the bathroom

6. hittfamily - Jul 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Damn. Did Justin Bieber piss in this guys mop bucket or something?

7. bigharold - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:06 PM

“My guess: the leaks are coming from a player’s legal team or agent or something.”

I don’t see it, players involved have nothing to gain by whipping up a frenzy over the continuing PED mess. The percentage of fans that are fed up with this topic and want it to go away and the percentage of fans that want PED users to be exposed and vilified far exceeds the percentage of fans that think MLB has not handled this effort with the integrity and is concerned about the methods used to catch cheaters.

I’m pretty sure that the leak came from MLB to win the PR campaign against the players. MLB executives aren’t as popular with fans as the average bench warmer for ones favorite team. And, to me that’s part of the problem now. While coercing dirt bags like the Biogensis crowd to roll over on players might in the end be necessary it does come across as unseemly. But, if you take this current MLB “investigation”, including the leaks, in conjunction to the leak in the Bruan case, add that to the leaks during the Barry Bonds trial throw in the release of the supposedly blind “survey” during 2003 and what you have is a pattern of leaks that in every case made a player(s) look bad. And the real problem with that is it’ll give the players cause to dig in their heals and fight any revision or expansion of the drug enforcement policies in the future. If the confidentiality aspect is a farce so on the face of it MLB isn’t living up to their end so why would the players give them any additional ability.

The lack of integrity in the testing process, specifically as it relates to the confidentiality of those deemed violators, is as much of an issue, in my opinion, as the use of PEDs themselves. If a player can be outted before the process runs it’s course, through the appeal process, that is as bad as sloppy or ineffective safe guards in the testing process itself. I’m pretty sure the players are viewing it that way too. Just ask Ryan Bruan.

8. jonirocit - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I agree with you big Harold but I don’t think the leaks are all baseballs fault . It is my understanding that the very few times it has happened it has come from the players end . Either agent or chatty Cathy’s in the locker room .

• bigharold - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Perhaps some media sources are the result of locker room conversations or agents that don’t know when to keep their mouth shut but the length and breath of the leaks screams MLB insider. Regardless, the impression is currently that if one is accused there is no reason for that player to think that he process will be confidential until the final determination is made even though that is what is called for in the agreement. So, if ones rights can’t be protected now, why would I cooperate with MLB at all? I certainly wouldn’t give them more authority and power.

9. jdhein22 - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Maybe the union could, you know, collectively act against the leaking. Since it appears to be Yahoo! Sports and ESPN, just have everyone in the union stop giving interviews to those two entities for 1 week.

Maybe then Buster Polney will stop carrying water for Bud Selig.

• bigharold - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:18 PM

It ain’t just Buster. I’m beginning to think that Bill Madden, once the voice of reason for the NY Daily News, is a bag man for MLB.

10. giantssg - Jul 11, 2013 at 2:00 PM

He should be pissed at the guys in his union who are obviously doing whatever they can to circumvent the rules. Regardless of whether they’re getting a fair shake or not, the evidence is pretty clear somebody’s been cheating.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5695)