Giants insist Matt Cain is healthy, elbow fragments and all

Jul 12, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

matt cain getty Getty Images

Matt Cain failed to make it out of the first inning Wednesday, allowing five of the seven batters he faced to reach base before being yanked after throwing 36 pitches. It was Cain’s second straight awful start, following up last week’s outing in which he allowed eight runs in 2.1 innings.

Despite those struggles manager Bruce Bochy insisted yesterday that Cain is healthy, telling Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com that “he’s fine” and the elbow fragments that have bothered him in the past “hasn’t affected him as far as I know.”

Baggarly, however, notes some red flags that suggest something isn’t right with Cain. For one thing Bochy had a reliever warming up just 20 pitches into Cain’s start Wednesday, suggesting the Giants knew something was up. Beyond that Cain’s fastball velocity was down 2-3 miles per hour.

Cain will get extra time off thanks to the All-Star break, but it’ll be telling when the Giants schedule his first start of the second half. Injured or healthy, Cain has allowed the most earned runs in the NL and has a 5.06 ERA after posting an ERA under 3.25 in four straight seasons.

1. chacochicken - Jul 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Lazy pitchers get their big pay day then lay down. I feel like he doesn’t throw inside enough.

• marklar1025 - Jul 12, 2013 at 1:28 PM

i believe he signed his contract before last season began and he only pitched 200+ innings last season, not including all the post season. He went 16-5 w/ 2.79era & had the lowest WHIP of career. Opening day pitcher (CompleteGameSO1hitter) , All Star starting & winning pitcher, winning pitcher in deciding games of each playoff series and the starter of the final game of the WS – oh and WS champion again. He didnt miss a start and oh yeah, had that perfect game and all. Way to lay down Cainer…

• chacochicken - Jul 12, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Come on, boys and girls. I apologize for anyone taking me seriously as I thought I’ve made it clear both here and with virtually every post I make that I am nothing but absurd, ridiculous, and sarcastic.
      In all honesty, I suspect Cain will have an exceptional 2nd half of the season.

• yahmule - Jul 12, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Sorry, Chaco, there’s no coming back from this.

• chacochicken - Jul 12, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I guess not. Make a joke about Matt Cain and throw in some Mitch Williams nonsense and death knell. I’ll try and do better next week.

2. bringbackkosar - Jul 12, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Cain’s perfect game least season seems like a distant memory now

• mc1439 - Jul 12, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Man you guys have it hard it’s only been 8 or 9 months since your last world series title too. That is such a goddamn bummer man.

3. yahmule - Jul 12, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Bochy’s exact quote: “Elbow fragents, schmelbow fragments! Now, who’s seen my trousers?”

4. yahmule - Jul 12, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Awesome, I stepped on the lunchline with a misspelling. This is why I’ll die anonymous.

5. yahmule - Jul 12, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Fucking did it again!

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3032)