Jul 12, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Matt Cain failed to make it out of the first inning Wednesday, allowing five of the seven batters he faced to reach base before being yanked after throwing 36 pitches. It was Cain’s second straight awful start, following up last week’s outing in which he allowed eight runs in 2.1 innings.
Despite those struggles manager Bruce Bochy insisted yesterday that Cain is healthy, telling Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com that “he’s fine” and the elbow fragments that have bothered him in the past “hasn’t affected him as far as I know.”
Baggarly, however, notes some red flags that suggest something isn’t right with Cain. For one thing Bochy had a reliever warming up just 20 pitches into Cain’s start Wednesday, suggesting the Giants knew something was up. Beyond that Cain’s fastball velocity was down 2-3 miles per hour.
Cain will get extra time off thanks to the All-Star break, but it’ll be telling when the Giants schedule his first start of the second half. Injured or healthy, Cain has allowed the most earned runs in the NL and has a 5.06 ERA after posting an ERA under 3.25 in four straight seasons.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 0
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)