Jul 12, 2013, 9:20 PM EDT
Per CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly, Giants manager Bruce Bochy says he plans to platoon newcomer Jeff Francoeur and 32-year-old Japanese rookie Kensuke Tanaka in left field. Francoeur, signed by the Giants on July 8 after being designated for assignment by the Royals, will join the team tomorrow. Tanaka made his Major League debut on July 9, going 1-for-4 with a hit and a walk.
Prior to his ouster from Kansas City, Francoeur was hitting .208 with a .571 OPS in 193 trips to the plate, hitting left-handers equally as poorly as he hit right-handers. Francoeur is only 29 years old, but not many are optimistic about his ability to play at the Major League level.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)