Jul 12, 2013, 8:22 AM EDT
Derek Jeter came back yesterday. And had an OK day before leaving with an injury. And the team won. All, except for the injury of course, good things. Wallace Matthews thinks something else was going on, though. Something magical!
Jeter’s first trip to the plate was like a coronation … and his first trip around the bases was like a victory lap … And although Jeter’s contribution was modest … there was something different about the way his teammates went about their business on this day … Earlier this week, falling behind 3-0 in the first inning as the Yankees did Thursday would have meant facing certain defeat, but Jeter’s Yankee teams were never done in the first inning, and neither was this one.
The power of Jeter compels you, I guess.
Assignment to a beat writer: ask Yankees players why they try harder when Jeter is around than when he isn’t. See what they say.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 27
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 57
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)