Jul 12, 2013, 8:22 AM EDT
Derek Jeter came back yesterday. And had an OK day before leaving with an injury. And the team won. All, except for the injury of course, good things. Wallace Matthews thinks something else was going on, though. Something magical!
Jeter’s first trip to the plate was like a coronation … and his first trip around the bases was like a victory lap … And although Jeter’s contribution was modest … there was something different about the way his teammates went about their business on this day … Earlier this week, falling behind 3-0 in the first inning as the Yankees did Thursday would have meant facing certain defeat, but Jeter’s Yankee teams were never done in the first inning, and neither was this one.
The power of Jeter compels you, I guess.
Assignment to a beat writer: ask Yankees players why they try harder when Jeter is around than when he isn’t. See what they say.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)