Jul 12, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
The Padres gave their fans some good news today, activating second baseman Jedd Gyorko and first baseman Yonder Alonso from the disabled list. Both are in tonight’s starting lineup against the Giants.
Gyorko had been on the disabled list since June 10 with a strained right groin. He had safely hit in 13 of 14 games leading up to his injury and was starting to get mentioned in NL Rookie of the Year conversations. He returns with an .802 OPS.
Alonso had been sidelined since June 1 due to a fractured right hand after getting hit with an Aaron Loup fastball the night prior. He was having some modest success at the plate, and he returns with a .751 OPS.
In related Padres news:
— Marty Caswell (@MartyCaswell) July 12, 2013
The Padres have been in a tailspin as of late, losing 12 of their last 13 games, including a 10-game losing streak from June 29 to July 8. Despite being 11 games under .500 at 41-52, they are still just 7.5 games behind the first-place Diamondbacks in the NL West.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 129
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (130)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)