Jul 12, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
The Padres gave their fans some good news today, activating second baseman Jedd Gyorko and first baseman Yonder Alonso from the disabled list. Both are in tonight’s starting lineup against the Giants.
Gyorko had been on the disabled list since June 10 with a strained right groin. He had safely hit in 13 of 14 games leading up to his injury and was starting to get mentioned in NL Rookie of the Year conversations. He returns with an .802 OPS.
Alonso had been sidelined since June 1 due to a fractured right hand after getting hit with an Aaron Loup fastball the night prior. He was having some modest success at the plate, and he returns with a .751 OPS.
In related Padres news:
— Marty Caswell (@MartyCaswell) July 12, 2013
The Padres have been in a tailspin as of late, losing 12 of their last 13 games, including a 10-game losing streak from June 29 to July 8. Despite being 11 games under .500 at 41-52, they are still just 7.5 games behind the first-place Diamondbacks in the NL West.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)