Jul 12, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
The Padres gave their fans some good news today, activating second baseman Jedd Gyorko and first baseman Yonder Alonso from the disabled list. Both are in tonight’s starting lineup against the Giants.
Gyorko had been on the disabled list since June 10 with a strained right groin. He had safely hit in 13 of 14 games leading up to his injury and was starting to get mentioned in NL Rookie of the Year conversations. He returns with an .802 OPS.
Alonso had been sidelined since June 1 due to a fractured right hand after getting hit with an Aaron Loup fastball the night prior. He was having some modest success at the plate, and he returns with a .751 OPS.
In related Padres news:
— Marty Caswell (@MartyCaswell) July 12, 2013
The Padres have been in a tailspin as of late, losing 12 of their last 13 games, including a 10-game losing streak from June 29 to July 8. Despite being 11 games under .500 at 41-52, they are still just 7.5 games behind the first-place Diamondbacks in the NL West.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)