Jul 12, 2013, 7:05 PM EST
The Padres gave their fans some good news today, activating second baseman Jedd Gyorko and first baseman Yonder Alonso from the disabled list. Both are in tonight’s starting lineup against the Giants.
Gyorko had been on the disabled list since June 10 with a strained right groin. He had safely hit in 13 of 14 games leading up to his injury and was starting to get mentioned in NL Rookie of the Year conversations. He returns with an .802 OPS.
Alonso had been sidelined since June 1 due to a fractured right hand after getting hit with an Aaron Loup fastball the night prior. He was having some modest success at the plate, and he returns with a .751 OPS.
In related Padres news:
— Marty Caswell (@MartyCaswell) July 12, 2013
The Padres have been in a tailspin as of late, losing 12 of their last 13 games, including a 10-game losing streak from June 29 to July 8. Despite being 11 games under .500 at 41-52, they are still just 7.5 games behind the first-place Diamondbacks in the NL West.
- Report: Cuban infielder Hector Olivera could have damaged ulnar collateral ligament 1
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 12
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 10
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 142
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (144)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)