Jul 12, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
Jordan Zimmermann finished his first half yesterday with 6.1 innings of two-run ball against the Phillies and heads into the All-Star break at 12-4 with a 2.58 ERA. However, the Nationals right-hander may decide to skip his first All-Star game because of a lingering neck injury.
Here’s what Zimmermann told Bill Ladson of MLB.com:
It’s a little tight. I’ve been dealing with that for a while now. But I got it loosened up. It’s good enough out there to go and pitch. … I’m not sure what I’m going to do. We’ll see how the next few days go and go from there. I would rather be healthy for the second half than pitch [in the All-Star game]. I would like to pitch in it. But I’m not going to go out there and pitch an inning, and I have to battle [with the injury] the whole second half.
That sounds like a perfectly reasonable approach to the situation for Zimmermann, who’s on pace for around 235 innings after throwing a career-high 195 last year. Ladson notes that the right-hander isn’t even sure what’s causing the neck problems, which seems like something that should worry the Nationals.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 142
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 66
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (143)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)