Jordan Zimmermann may skip All-Star game because of neck injury

Jul 12, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT

St. Louis Cardinals v Washington Nationals - Game Four Getty Images

Jordan Zimmermann finished his first half yesterday with 6.1 innings of two-run ball against the Phillies and heads into the All-Star break at 12-4 with a 2.58 ERA. However, the Nationals right-hander may decide to skip his first All-Star game because of a lingering neck injury.

Here’s what Zimmermann told Bill Ladson of MLB.com:

It’s a little tight. I’ve been dealing with that for a while now. But I got it loosened up. It’s good enough out there to go and pitch. … I’m not sure what I’m going to do. We’ll see how the next few days go and go from there. I would rather be healthy for the second half than pitch [in the All-Star game]. I would like to pitch in it. But I’m not going to go out there and pitch an inning, and I have to battle [with the injury] the whole second half.

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable approach to the situation for Zimmermann, who’s on pace for around 235 innings after throwing a career-high 195 last year. Ladson notes that the right-hander isn’t even sure what’s causing the neck problems, which seems like something that should worry the Nationals.

1. chacochicken - Jul 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Trust the Jordan Zimmermann.

• goskinsvt - Jul 12, 2013 at 11:32 AM

wat

• natslady - Jul 12, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Yeah, I don’t get the connection either. Unless it’s a reference to JZimm’s winter hobby (ice fishing).

• asimonetti88 - Jul 12, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I don’t get it, but the randomness of it made me chuckle.

• rocketsteadman - Jul 12, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Uh, what?

• historiophiliac - Jul 12, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Eat mor chikin!

• chacochicken - Jul 12, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Jordan Zimmerman sounds like Gorton’s Fishermen…at least to me. For some reason I can’t think of one with out the other. Just hum the jingle an add JZ in there. Works perfectly.

• 161andriver - Jul 12, 2013 at 1:51 PM

If it makes you feel better, I got it immediately. I can hear the jingle in my head right now.

Trust the Jor-dan Zim-mer-man.

2. specialkindofstupid - Jul 12, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Sore neck, eh? My guess is either he has the wrong type of pillow for the way he sleeps (back vs side vs stomach), or he’s been looking up at the Braves in the standings too long.

I kid. Hope it turns out to be nothing a little rest can’t cure.

3. section138 - Jul 12, 2013 at 12:32 PM

No worries.

• section138 - Jul 12, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Thanks for lying to me, WordPress commenting instructions.

“Videos » Vimeo
      Embedding with a URL
      To quickly embed a Vimeo video, simply copy the video’s URL from your web browser’s address bar while viewing the video and paste it on a line by itself in your post editor.
      We take care of the rest!”

Stupid jerk face.

4. nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 12, 2013 at 3:46 PM

So basically, the Nats’ lack of consistent offense is a pain in the neck.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2989)