Jul 12, 2013, 10:35 PM EDT
The bad news keeps piling up for the Braves. B.J. Upton had to exit tonight’s game against the Reds in the first inning after straining his right abductor muscle on a dive attempt. Justin Upton had to leave with a strained left calf after the end of the bottom of the seventh inning. He had come up limping a bit after grounding out to shortstop to lead off the inning. Reed Johnson, who had moved from right field to center after B.J. left, moved back to right field and Tylor Pastornicky took over in center field for Justin.
Justin Upton entered the night with a .255/.353/.463 slash line, but since a hot April that had him in early MVP discussions, he has hit .237/.333/.353 since May 1.
The Braves also learned that x-rays on outfielder Jordan Schafer‘s right ankle revealed a stress fracture. David O’Brien says Schafer will likely be out six weeks. He is in his second week out of action, though he suffered the injury on June 26.
If you’re counting, that is four injured outfielders, three in the last two nights. While the Phillies had their game postponed and the Nationals lost to the Marlins 8-3, the Braves lost to the Reds tonight 4-2.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)