Jul 12, 2013, 10:35 PM EST
The bad news keeps piling up for the Braves. B.J. Upton had to exit tonight’s game against the Reds in the first inning after straining his right abductor muscle on a dive attempt. Justin Upton had to leave with a strained left calf after the end of the bottom of the seventh inning. He had come up limping a bit after grounding out to shortstop to lead off the inning. Reed Johnson, who had moved from right field to center after B.J. left, moved back to right field and Tylor Pastornicky took over in center field for Justin.
Justin Upton entered the night with a .255/.353/.463 slash line, but since a hot April that had him in early MVP discussions, he has hit .237/.333/.353 since May 1.
The Braves also learned that x-rays on outfielder Jordan Schafer‘s right ankle revealed a stress fracture. David O’Brien says Schafer will likely be out six weeks. He is in his second week out of action, though he suffered the injury on June 26.
If you’re counting, that is four injured outfielders, three in the last two nights. While the Phillies had their game postponed and the Nationals lost to the Marlins 8-3, the Braves lost to the Reds tonight 4-2.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)