Jul 12, 2013, 10:50 PM EST
The Red Sox added another lefty to their bullpen tonight, completing a trade with the White Sox for reliever Matt Thornton. The Red Sox have moved Andrew Miller to the 60-day disabled list to create room on the roster, according to Alex Speier. Per Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, the White Sox have received outfield prospect Brandon Jacobs in return.
Thornton, now 36 years old, had been with the White Sox since March 20, 2006, when the team acquired him from the Mariners for Joe Borchard. Over his eight years with the White Sox, Thornton posted a 3.28 ERA and struck out 25 percent of batters he faced. He has a $6 million club option for 2014 with a $1 million buyout.
Jacobs was drafted by the Red Sox in the 10th round of the 2009 draft. At the age of 22, he was promoted to Double-A Portland for the first time this season for one game. He went 2-for-3, then was sent back to A-ball. He was promoted again two days ago. Overall, in 335 plate appearances with Single-A Salem, he posted a .774 OPS.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 100
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)