Jul 12, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
The Red Sox added another lefty to their bullpen tonight, completing a trade with the White Sox for reliever Matt Thornton. The Red Sox have moved Andrew Miller to the 60-day disabled list to create room on the roster, according to Alex Speier. Per Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, the White Sox have received outfield prospect Brandon Jacobs in return.
Thornton, now 36 years old, had been with the White Sox since March 20, 2006, when the team acquired him from the Mariners for Joe Borchard. Over his eight years with the White Sox, Thornton posted a 3.28 ERA and struck out 25 percent of batters he faced. He has a $6 million club option for 2014 with a $1 million buyout.
Jacobs was drafted by the Red Sox in the 10th round of the 2009 draft. At the age of 22, he was promoted to Double-A Portland for the first time this season for one game. He went 2-for-3, then was sent back to A-ball. He was promoted again two days ago. Overall, in 335 plate appearances with Single-A Salem, he posted a .774 OPS.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 100
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 151
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (152)