Jul 12, 2013, 9:27 AM EDT
It feels like open season on Yasiel Puig these days. Miguel Montero dumped on him, he was accused of being disrespectful to Luis Gonzalez, he lost the Final Vote to Freddie Freeman and now he’s accused — or rather, his interpreter is accused — of going up into the stands to get a woman’s phone number.
That was reported by ESPNs Pedro Gomez — in the most serious of tones — last night. I get it. I myself am shocked that a young baseball player was scoping women in the crowd too. I wish players these days were more like Mickey Mantle and didn’t do such things.
Wait. Bad example.
Whatever. I do think it’s pretty remarkable how quickly the pile-on Puig has been of late. It’s like everyone is suddenly realizing that A-Rod is going to be gone soon and we’ll need a new villain.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 14
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 18
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 21
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 32
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (97)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)