Jul 12, 2013, 9:27 AM EDT
It feels like open season on Yasiel Puig these days. Miguel Montero dumped on him, he was accused of being disrespectful to Luis Gonzalez, he lost the Final Vote to Freddie Freeman and now he’s accused — or rather, his interpreter is accused — of going up into the stands to get a woman’s phone number.
That was reported by ESPNs Pedro Gomez — in the most serious of tones — last night. I get it. I myself am shocked that a young baseball player was scoping women in the crowd too. I wish players these days were more like Mickey Mantle and didn’t do such things.
Wait. Bad example.
Whatever. I do think it’s pretty remarkable how quickly the pile-on Puig has been of late. It’s like everyone is suddenly realizing that A-Rod is going to be gone soon and we’ll need a new villain.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 27
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 57
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)