Jul 12, 2013, 9:27 AM EDT
It feels like open season on Yasiel Puig these days. Miguel Montero dumped on him, he was accused of being disrespectful to Luis Gonzalez, he lost the Final Vote to Freddie Freeman and now he’s accused — or rather, his interpreter is accused — of going up into the stands to get a woman’s phone number.
That was reported by ESPNs Pedro Gomez — in the most serious of tones — last night. I get it. I myself am shocked that a young baseball player was scoping women in the crowd too. I wish players these days were more like Mickey Mantle and didn’t do such things.
Wait. Bad example.
Whatever. I do think it’s pretty remarkable how quickly the pile-on Puig has been of late. It’s like everyone is suddenly realizing that A-Rod is going to be gone soon and we’ll need a new villain.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 26
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 36
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)