Jul 13, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
On this, the thirteenth day of July, we have more gas for our Alex Rodriguez drama fire. The New York Post’s Joel Sherman is reporting that the Yankee third baseman was a no-show for yesterday’s rehab game with the Single-A Tampa Yankees. Rodriguez met with Major League Baseball officials and interrogated about his involvement with performance-enhancing drugs and Biogenesis, but according to Sherman, the session ended with time to spare prior to yesterday’s game, which was eventually postponed due to rain.
But sources say Rodriguez had enough time to get from the nearby location where he was interrogated to the park before any official word had come down about whether the game would be played or not. He was not excused by organization officials from attending the game and, in fact, the Yankees had been told by MLB the interview would be done in a timeframe to allow Rodriguez to continue his rehab games, and the meeting ended about two hours before the scheduled first pitch.
Reached by phone, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman refused to comment on whether Rodriguez was absent without permission. Rodriguez and his spokespersons did not respond to questions about why he did not go to the stadium.
In limited playing time, Rodriguez — now 37 years old — has not performed well in his rehab games. Major League Baseball is looking to suspend Rodriguez for 100 games after the All-Star break.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)