Jul 13, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
On this, the thirteenth day of July, we have more gas for our Alex Rodriguez drama fire. The New York Post’s Joel Sherman is reporting that the Yankee third baseman was a no-show for yesterday’s rehab game with the Single-A Tampa Yankees. Rodriguez met with Major League Baseball officials and interrogated about his involvement with performance-enhancing drugs and Biogenesis, but according to Sherman, the session ended with time to spare prior to yesterday’s game, which was eventually postponed due to rain.
But sources say Rodriguez had enough time to get from the nearby location where he was interrogated to the park before any official word had come down about whether the game would be played or not. He was not excused by organization officials from attending the game and, in fact, the Yankees had been told by MLB the interview would be done in a timeframe to allow Rodriguez to continue his rehab games, and the meeting ended about two hours before the scheduled first pitch.
Reached by phone, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman refused to comment on whether Rodriguez was absent without permission. Rodriguez and his spokespersons did not respond to questions about why he did not go to the stadium.
In limited playing time, Rodriguez — now 37 years old — has not performed well in his rehab games. Major League Baseball is looking to suspend Rodriguez for 100 games after the All-Star break.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)