Jul 13, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
On this, the thirteenth day of July, we have more gas for our Alex Rodriguez drama fire. The New York Post’s Joel Sherman is reporting that the Yankee third baseman was a no-show for yesterday’s rehab game with the Single-A Tampa Yankees. Rodriguez met with Major League Baseball officials and interrogated about his involvement with performance-enhancing drugs and Biogenesis, but according to Sherman, the session ended with time to spare prior to yesterday’s game, which was eventually postponed due to rain.
But sources say Rodriguez had enough time to get from the nearby location where he was interrogated to the park before any official word had come down about whether the game would be played or not. He was not excused by organization officials from attending the game and, in fact, the Yankees had been told by MLB the interview would be done in a timeframe to allow Rodriguez to continue his rehab games, and the meeting ended about two hours before the scheduled first pitch.
Reached by phone, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman refused to comment on whether Rodriguez was absent without permission. Rodriguez and his spokespersons did not respond to questions about why he did not go to the stadium.
In limited playing time, Rodriguez — now 37 years old — has not performed well in his rehab games. Major League Baseball is looking to suspend Rodriguez for 100 games after the All-Star break.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 12
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 55
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)