Jul 13, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
On this, the thirteenth day of July, we have more gas for our Alex Rodriguez drama fire. The New York Post’s Joel Sherman is reporting that the Yankee third baseman was a no-show for yesterday’s rehab game with the Single-A Tampa Yankees. Rodriguez met with Major League Baseball officials and interrogated about his involvement with performance-enhancing drugs and Biogenesis, but according to Sherman, the session ended with time to spare prior to yesterday’s game, which was eventually postponed due to rain.
But sources say Rodriguez had enough time to get from the nearby location where he was interrogated to the park before any official word had come down about whether the game would be played or not. He was not excused by organization officials from attending the game and, in fact, the Yankees had been told by MLB the interview would be done in a timeframe to allow Rodriguez to continue his rehab games, and the meeting ended about two hours before the scheduled first pitch.
Reached by phone, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman refused to comment on whether Rodriguez was absent without permission. Rodriguez and his spokespersons did not respond to questions about why he did not go to the stadium.
In limited playing time, Rodriguez — now 37 years old — has not performed well in his rehab games. Major League Baseball is looking to suspend Rodriguez for 100 games after the All-Star break.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)