Jul 13, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Phillies outfielder Ben Revere suffered a broken right foot during the first game of today’s double-header against the White Sox. In the bottom of the eleventh, Revere came to the plate with a runner on first base and one out with his team trailing 5-4. He fouled an Addison Reed pitch off of his ankle and appeared to be in a great deal of pain. As the Phillies had just exhausted their final bench player in John McDonald pinch-running for Humberto Quintero, Revere stayed in the game, only to hit into a game-ending 5-4-3 double play.
Per Todd Zolecki, x-rays taken after the game revealed a broken right foot and Revere will head to the disabled list and be evaluated by a specialist on Monday. John Mayberry was inserted into the lineup, starting in center field for the second game.
After a ghastly April, Revere had been one of the Phillies’ most productive hitters. With a 2-for-6 performance today, he goes on the disabled list with a .305 average, but was out-hit by only Yasiel Puig since the start of June. He is also the only Phillie to have reached double-digits in stolen bases. His injury comes at a time when the Phillies are wavering between buyer and seller status.
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 18
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 14
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 28
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 46
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (185)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)