Jul 13, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Phillies outfielder Ben Revere suffered a broken right foot during the first game of today’s double-header against the White Sox. In the bottom of the eleventh, Revere came to the plate with a runner on first base and one out with his team trailing 5-4. He fouled an Addison Reed pitch off of his ankle and appeared to be in a great deal of pain. As the Phillies had just exhausted their final bench player in John McDonald pinch-running for Humberto Quintero, Revere stayed in the game, only to hit into a game-ending 5-4-3 double play.
Per Todd Zolecki, x-rays taken after the game revealed a broken right foot and Revere will head to the disabled list and be evaluated by a specialist on Monday. John Mayberry was inserted into the lineup, starting in center field for the second game.
After a ghastly April, Revere had been one of the Phillies’ most productive hitters. With a 2-for-6 performance today, he goes on the disabled list with a .305 average, but was out-hit by only Yasiel Puig since the start of June. He is also the only Phillie to have reached double-digits in stolen bases. His injury comes at a time when the Phillies are wavering between buyer and seller status.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)