Jul 13, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Phillies outfielder Ben Revere suffered a broken right foot during the first game of today’s double-header against the White Sox. In the bottom of the eleventh, Revere came to the plate with a runner on first base and one out with his team trailing 5-4. He fouled an Addison Reed pitch off of his ankle and appeared to be in a great deal of pain. As the Phillies had just exhausted their final bench player in John McDonald pinch-running for Humberto Quintero, Revere stayed in the game, only to hit into a game-ending 5-4-3 double play.
Per Todd Zolecki, x-rays taken after the game revealed a broken right foot and Revere will head to the disabled list and be evaluated by a specialist on Monday. John Mayberry was inserted into the lineup, starting in center field for the second game.
After a ghastly April, Revere had been one of the Phillies’ most productive hitters. With a 2-for-6 performance today, he goes on the disabled list with a .305 average, but was out-hit by only Yasiel Puig since the start of June. He is also the only Phillie to have reached double-digits in stolen bases. His injury comes at a time when the Phillies are wavering between buyer and seller status.
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 12
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 19
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 34
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)