Jul 13, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Phillies outfielder Ben Revere suffered a broken right foot during the first game of today’s double-header against the White Sox. In the bottom of the eleventh, Revere came to the plate with a runner on first base and one out with his team trailing 5-4. He fouled an Addison Reed pitch off of his ankle and appeared to be in a great deal of pain. As the Phillies had just exhausted their final bench player in John McDonald pinch-running for Humberto Quintero, Revere stayed in the game, only to hit into a game-ending 5-4-3 double play.
Per Todd Zolecki, x-rays taken after the game revealed a broken right foot and Revere will head to the disabled list and be evaluated by a specialist on Monday. John Mayberry was inserted into the lineup, starting in center field for the second game.
After a ghastly April, Revere had been one of the Phillies’ most productive hitters. With a 2-for-6 performance today, he goes on the disabled list with a .305 average, but was out-hit by only Yasiel Puig since the start of June. He is also the only Phillie to have reached double-digits in stolen bases. His injury comes at a time when the Phillies are wavering between buyer and seller status.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 33
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 28
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 39
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 220
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)