Jul 13, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
Phillies outfielder Ben Revere suffered a broken right foot during the first game of today’s double-header against the White Sox. In the bottom of the eleventh, Revere came to the plate with a runner on first base and one out with his team trailing 5-4. He fouled an Addison Reed pitch off of his ankle and appeared to be in a great deal of pain. As the Phillies had just exhausted their final bench player in John McDonald pinch-running for Humberto Quintero, Revere stayed in the game, only to hit into a game-ending 5-4-3 double play.
Per Todd Zolecki, x-rays taken after the game revealed a broken right foot and Revere will head to the disabled list and be evaluated by a specialist on Monday. John Mayberry was inserted into the lineup, starting in center field for the second game.
After a ghastly April, Revere had been one of the Phillies’ most productive hitters. With a 2-for-6 performance today, he goes on the disabled list with a .305 average, but was out-hit by only Yasiel Puig since the start of June. He is also the only Phillie to have reached double-digits in stolen bases. His injury comes at a time when the Phillies are wavering between buyer and seller status.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)