Jul 13, 2013, 2:27 PM EDT
After missing six weeks with a sprained left ankle, Brett Lawrie was activated from the disabled list today by the Blue Jays. Derek Wetmore of MLB.com reports that he will play second base in his return this afternoon against the Orioles, confirming what was hinted by Blue Jays manager John Gibbons on Thursday.
Lawrie batted .250 (8-for-32) with one home run and a 10/7 K/BB ratio over 10 minor league rehab games. The 23-year-old started at second base in each of his final three games with Triple-A Buffalo. While he has exclusively played third base in the majors, he began his professional career at second base with the Brewers.
Lawrie hasn’t played regularly at second base since back in 2010, so he’s no lock to stick at the position, but the Blue Jays are ready to see if he can form a dynamic double-play combo with shortstop Jose Reyes. Maicer Izturis figures to get most of the starts at third base while Mark DeRosa and Edwin Encarnacion could also see occasional playing time there. Jose Bautista has made two starts at third base this season, but Gibbons told John Lott of the National Post that they have no plans to move him from right field.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 3
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 30
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 14
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)