Jul 13, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Red Sox starter Clay Buchholz will not begin his rehab as originally scheduled, according to Tim Britton. Buchholz has been dealing with bursitis in his right shoulder and hasn’t pitched since June 8.
More from Britton’s column:
The plan now is for Buchholz to throw a bullpen session Sunday, possibly another on Tuesday in New York at the All-Star Game and then to return to Boston for a simulated game toward the end of next week. If all that goes well, then Buchholz would go out for a single rehab start, after which he could come back to the Red Sox rotation.
“It’s a little bit different than we had kind of put together initially,” manager John Farrell said. “The most important thing is there’s no issues shoulder-wise, any kind of discomfort. He’s just in basically that reconditioning phase, getting back closer to game shape.”
Buchholz was an early frontrunner in the AL Cy Young award conversation, posting a 1.71 ERA with a 9-0 record over 12 starts, and a career high strikeout rate of 25 percent. Britton suggests that the delay may create an incentive for the Red Sox to add a starter before the July 31 trade deadline.
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 1
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)