Jul 13, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Red Sox starter Clay Buchholz will not begin his rehab as originally scheduled, according to Tim Britton. Buchholz has been dealing with bursitis in his right shoulder and hasn’t pitched since June 8.
More from Britton’s column:
The plan now is for Buchholz to throw a bullpen session Sunday, possibly another on Tuesday in New York at the All-Star Game and then to return to Boston for a simulated game toward the end of next week. If all that goes well, then Buchholz would go out for a single rehab start, after which he could come back to the Red Sox rotation.
“It’s a little bit different than we had kind of put together initially,” manager John Farrell said. “The most important thing is there’s no issues shoulder-wise, any kind of discomfort. He’s just in basically that reconditioning phase, getting back closer to game shape.”
Buchholz was an early frontrunner in the AL Cy Young award conversation, posting a 1.71 ERA with a 9-0 record over 12 starts, and a career high strikeout rate of 25 percent. Britton suggests that the delay may create an incentive for the Red Sox to add a starter before the July 31 trade deadline.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)