Jul 13, 2013, 7:55 PM EST
Red Sox starter Clay Buchholz will not begin his rehab as originally scheduled, according to Tim Britton. Buchholz has been dealing with bursitis in his right shoulder and hasn’t pitched since June 8.
More from Britton’s column:
The plan now is for Buchholz to throw a bullpen session Sunday, possibly another on Tuesday in New York at the All-Star Game and then to return to Boston for a simulated game toward the end of next week. If all that goes well, then Buchholz would go out for a single rehab start, after which he could come back to the Red Sox rotation.
“It’s a little bit different than we had kind of put together initially,” manager John Farrell said. “The most important thing is there’s no issues shoulder-wise, any kind of discomfort. He’s just in basically that reconditioning phase, getting back closer to game shape.”
Buchholz was an early frontrunner in the AL Cy Young award conversation, posting a 1.71 ERA with a 9-0 record over 12 starts, and a career high strikeout rate of 25 percent. Britton suggests that the delay may create an incentive for the Red Sox to add a starter before the July 31 trade deadline.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 131
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 64
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (139)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)