Jul 13, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
Pirates left-hander Jeff Locke felt some back tightness following his most recent start on Monday, so Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that he will not start tomorrow against the Mets and will also skip Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
Gerrit Cole will start in Locke’s place tomorrow. The good news is that the back issue isn’t considered serious and he should be good to go after the All-Star break. He isn’t slated to pitch again until July 21, so he’ll go 12 days between starts.
Locke has been a nice surprise for the Pirates this season, posting a 2.15 ERA and 73/47 K/BB ratio in 109 innings over 18 starts. The 25-year-old is on pace to easily surpass the 175 2/3 innings he threw between the majors and minors last year, so the back issue is a convenient way to get him some extra rest in preparation for what should be an interesting second half for Pittsburgh.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)