Jul 13, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
Pirates left-hander Jeff Locke felt some back tightness following his most recent start on Monday, so Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that he will not start tomorrow against the Mets and will also skip Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
Gerrit Cole will start in Locke’s place tomorrow. The good news is that the back issue isn’t considered serious and he should be good to go after the All-Star break. He isn’t slated to pitch again until July 21, so he’ll go 12 days between starts.
Locke has been a nice surprise for the Pirates this season, posting a 2.15 ERA and 73/47 K/BB ratio in 109 innings over 18 starts. The 25-year-old is on pace to easily surpass the 175 2/3 innings he threw between the majors and minors last year, so the back issue is a convenient way to get him some extra rest in preparation for what should be an interesting second half for Pittsburgh.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)