Jul 13, 2013, 9:29 AM EDT
The Braves were hoping to get outfielder Jordan Schafer back from a right foot injury immediately following the All-Star break, but it turns out they’ll be waiting much longer than originally expected.
Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that an MRI taken on Schafer’s foot yesterday revealed a stress fracture. Known as an intraosseous fracture, Braves general manager Frank Wren said it did not show up on either of the two X-rays taken in previous weeks. He originally suffered the injury when he fouled a ball off his foot on June 26.
“If we had (taken an) MRI at the time of the injury, this fracture would not have shown up,” Wren said. “It’s the type thing that over time, you get a better sense of it. It’s one of those strange situations.”
This type of fracture usually takes about six weeks to heal, but Schafer is already over two weeks into the process. This means he could be back by mid-August if all goes well. Still, it a tough blow for a team which has seen Jason Heyward, B.J. Upton, and Justin Upton all leave with injuries over the past two days. The Braves plan to call up Jose Constanza today as a stopgap. Meanwhile, Evan Gattis played in his first rehab game last night and should be back when the second half begins.
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 53
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 29
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (187)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)