Jul 13, 2013, 9:29 AM EST
The Braves were hoping to get outfielder Jordan Schafer back from a right foot injury immediately following the All-Star break, but it turns out they’ll be waiting much longer than originally expected.
Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that an MRI taken on Schafer’s foot yesterday revealed a stress fracture. Known as an intraosseous fracture, Braves general manager Frank Wren said it did not show up on either of the two X-rays taken in previous weeks. He originally suffered the injury when he fouled a ball off his foot on June 26.
“If we had (taken an) MRI at the time of the injury, this fracture would not have shown up,” Wren said. “It’s the type thing that over time, you get a better sense of it. It’s one of those strange situations.”
This type of fracture usually takes about six weeks to heal, but Schafer is already over two weeks into the process. This means he could be back by mid-August if all goes well. Still, it a tough blow for a team which has seen Jason Heyward, B.J. Upton, and Justin Upton all leave with injuries over the past two days. The Braves plan to call up Jose Constanza today as a stopgap. Meanwhile, Evan Gattis played in his first rehab game last night and should be back when the second half begins.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)