Jul 13, 2013, 9:29 AM EDT
The Braves were hoping to get outfielder Jordan Schafer back from a right foot injury immediately following the All-Star break, but it turns out they’ll be waiting much longer than originally expected.
Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that an MRI taken on Schafer’s foot yesterday revealed a stress fracture. Known as an intraosseous fracture, Braves general manager Frank Wren said it did not show up on either of the two X-rays taken in previous weeks. He originally suffered the injury when he fouled a ball off his foot on June 26.
“If we had (taken an) MRI at the time of the injury, this fracture would not have shown up,” Wren said. “It’s the type thing that over time, you get a better sense of it. It’s one of those strange situations.”
This type of fracture usually takes about six weeks to heal, but Schafer is already over two weeks into the process. This means he could be back by mid-August if all goes well. Still, it a tough blow for a team which has seen Jason Heyward, B.J. Upton, and Justin Upton all leave with injuries over the past two days. The Braves plan to call up Jose Constanza today as a stopgap. Meanwhile, Evan Gattis played in his first rehab game last night and should be back when the second half begins.
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 76
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 38
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)