Jul 13, 2013, 9:29 AM EDT
The Braves were hoping to get outfielder Jordan Schafer back from a right foot injury immediately following the All-Star break, but it turns out they’ll be waiting much longer than originally expected.
Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that an MRI taken on Schafer’s foot yesterday revealed a stress fracture. Known as an intraosseous fracture, Braves general manager Frank Wren said it did not show up on either of the two X-rays taken in previous weeks. He originally suffered the injury when he fouled a ball off his foot on June 26.
“If we had (taken an) MRI at the time of the injury, this fracture would not have shown up,” Wren said. “It’s the type thing that over time, you get a better sense of it. It’s one of those strange situations.”
This type of fracture usually takes about six weeks to heal, but Schafer is already over two weeks into the process. This means he could be back by mid-August if all goes well. Still, it a tough blow for a team which has seen Jason Heyward, B.J. Upton, and Justin Upton all leave with injuries over the past two days. The Braves plan to call up Jose Constanza today as a stopgap. Meanwhile, Evan Gattis played in his first rehab game last night and should be back when the second half begins.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)