Jul 13, 2013, 9:29 AM EDT
The Braves were hoping to get outfielder Jordan Schafer back from a right foot injury immediately following the All-Star break, but it turns out they’ll be waiting much longer than originally expected.
Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that an MRI taken on Schafer’s foot yesterday revealed a stress fracture. Known as an intraosseous fracture, Braves general manager Frank Wren said it did not show up on either of the two X-rays taken in previous weeks. He originally suffered the injury when he fouled a ball off his foot on June 26.
“If we had (taken an) MRI at the time of the injury, this fracture would not have shown up,” Wren said. “It’s the type thing that over time, you get a better sense of it. It’s one of those strange situations.”
This type of fracture usually takes about six weeks to heal, but Schafer is already over two weeks into the process. This means he could be back by mid-August if all goes well. Still, it a tough blow for a team which has seen Jason Heyward, B.J. Upton, and Justin Upton all leave with injuries over the past two days. The Braves plan to call up Jose Constanza today as a stopgap. Meanwhile, Evan Gattis played in his first rehab game last night and should be back when the second half begins.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 46
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)