Jul 13, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Tigers starter Max Scherzer entered his final start of the first half a sterling 13-0 with a 3.06 ERA. With a victory over the Rangers tonight, he could have improved to 14-0, matching Roger Clemens’ historic start in 1986. The Rangers, however, had other ideas.
Scherzer allowed three runs in the top of the third on an A.J. Pierzynski sacrifice fly and a Mitch Moreland two-run home run. After the Tigers eked out a run in the bottom of the fourth on a Hernan Perez RBI single, Pierzynski got it back with an RBI double in the top of the fifth. Scherzer lasted six innings, allowing eight hits and walking two while striking out six. He is now 13-1 with a 3.19 ERA, still quite good.
The Rangers added three more runs in the top of the ninth against Al Albuquerque as Nelson Cruz hit an RBI single and Adrian Beltre hit a two-run home run.Rangers starter Derek Holland on point, surrendering one run over seven innings. Joaquin Soria pitched a scoreless eighth and Neal Cotts pitched a scoreless ninth to nail down the 7-1 victory.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)