Jul 13, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
Alex Gordon has been one of the more underrated players in baseball over the last few years, a big reason being his superb defense in left field. If you put any stock into defensive statistics, he has been the best defensive left fielder in baseball since 2011. Gordon showed off his glove again tonight, saving what could have been a two-run Nick Swisher double or triple in the bottom of the first.
Royals starter Jeremy Guthrie escaped the inning unscathed thanks in large part to Gordon, but did surrender five runs over seven innings in a 5-3 loss to the Indians.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)