Jul 13, 2013, 10:02 AM EDT
Raul Ibanez‘s incredible season continued last night against the Angels, as he went 3-for-4 with two home runs, a double, and three RBI as part of an 8-3 win.
Ibanez, who turned 41 last month, now has 24 home runs through just 71 games this season. And the power surge is putting him in some pretty select company for his age.
According to Baseball Reference, only six players (Barry Bonds did it twice) have hit more home runs in a season in their 40s. Darrell Evans is at the top of that list, as he hit 34 with the Tigers in his age-40 season in 1987. Only two players (including Bonds twice) have hit more in their age-41 season or later, with Ted Williams (29 home runs in 1960) leading the way. If Ibanez stays healthy, he has a legitimate chance to surpass all of them.
May 28, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
“I have nothing to complain about.”
May 28, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
He just opted out of his deal with Tampa Bay.
May 28, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
“He could be anywhere.”
May 28, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Where is the asterisk-applying crowd when you need ’em?
May 28, 2015, 9:19 AM EDT
In other news, Taco Bell restaurants in Southern League towns are experiencing record sales.
The Marlins considered hiring Dusty Baker, Ron Washington and Ozzie Guillen (!) before going with Dan Jennings
May 28, 2015, 8:38 AM EDT
But how seriously were they really considered?
May 28, 2015, 7:28 AM EDT
Noah Syndergaard did it all.
May 27, 2015, 11:27 PM EDT
Reds ace Johnny Cueto was scratched from a start last week after experiencing stiffness in his right elbow, but an MRI taken Tuesday afternoon came up clean …
May 27, 2015, 10:14 PM EDT
Harper has slugged 13 home runs over his last 19 games.
May 27, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT
Cardinals first baseman Matt Adams tore his right quadriceps muscle Tuesday while legging out a double.
May 27, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
Santos had registered an underwhelming 4.73 ERA, 1.50 WHIP, and 15/7 K/BB ratio in 13 1/3 innings of relief this season for the Dodgers.
May 27, 2015, 7:18 PM EDT
Just call him Jimmy “The Jet” Paredes.
May 27, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Peguero was designated for assignment by the Rangers on May 20 after batting .186/.310/.414 with four home runs and nine RBI in 84 plate appearances.
May 27, 2015, 5:19 PM EDT
Adams was off to a slow start this season, but he’s hit .277 with a .770 OPS in 320 games for the Cardinals since debuting in 2012.
May 27, 2015, 5:09 PM EDT
Everything ends badly. Otherwise it wouldn’t end.
May 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT
A bad season for the A’s is starting to look worse.
May 27, 2015, 4:19 PM EDT
The incident is alleged to have occurred this past weekend.
May 27, 2015, 4:01 PM EDT
Crazy things are happening in Minnesota.
Felix Hernandez and Chris Archer dueled. Chris Archer, by one measure, pitched better. Felix Hernandez won.
May 27, 2015, 3:36 PM EDT
Game scores are interesting things. Wins — the team kind, anyway — are far more satisfying.
May 27, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
And Missouri continues to represent well.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 13
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 45
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)