Jul 13, 2013, 10:02 AM EST
Raul Ibanez‘s incredible season continued last night against the Angels, as he went 3-for-4 with two home runs, a double, and three RBI as part of an 8-3 win.
Ibanez, who turned 41 last month, now has 24 home runs through just 71 games this season. And the power surge is putting him in some pretty select company for his age.
According to Baseball Reference, only six players (Barry Bonds did it twice) have hit more home runs in a season in their 40s. Darrell Evans is at the top of that list, as he hit 34 with the Tigers in his age-40 season in 1987. Only two players (including Bonds twice) have hit more in their age-41 season or later, with Ted Williams (29 home runs in 1960) leading the way. If Ibanez stays healthy, he has a legitimate chance to surpass all of them.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
Wily Mo Pena could be back in the major leagues if the Twins are willing to play ball.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:25 PM EST
Are they looking to hire a caddie?
Nov 22, 2014, 7:20 PM EST
The Rockies added a bit of pitching depth, signing John Lannan to a minor league deal.
Nov 22, 2014, 6:15 PM EST
The Giants have a Plan B if they can’t bring back Pablo Sandoval.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:25 PM EST
And the Giants are still in the mix, too.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:13 PM EST
Satin spent parts of the past four seasons in the majors with the Mets.
Nov 22, 2014, 12:12 PM EST
Blanco played for the Cubs from 2005-2008.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:14 AM EST
Yang won the Korean equivalent of the Cy Young award this season and the 26-year-old tops out at 92-95 miles per hour.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
He figures to get a look as a backup outfielder for the Angels.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:10 AM EST
Boston is competing with San Francisco and San Diego for Sandoval.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:55 PM EST
The Mariners get an extra year to do whatever they want with Danny Hultzen.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
If the Yankees can’t bring back David Robertson, Jason Grilli could be one option the club could look at.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:40 PM EST
The Orioles bolstered their organizational depth by signing Paul Janish on Friday.
Nov 21, 2014, 7:35 PM EST
The White Sox have signed first baseman Adam LaRoche to a two-year, $25 million deal.
Nov 21, 2014, 7:05 PM EST
The interest in free agent outfielder Torii Hunter has been lukewarm, but he represents a decent Plan B or C for a handful of teams.
Nov 21, 2014, 6:15 PM EST
Andrew Miller is drawing significant interest in the free agent market, and he could even fetch a four-year deal.
Nov 21, 2014, 5:21 PM EST
Wakamatsu, Cash and Ibanez are the finalists.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
Can you see that happening? I have a hard time seeing that happen.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:10 PM EST
Joyce has been a productive regular for the Rays since 2010.
Nov 21, 2014, 2:34 PM EST
It was attached to a motion filed in court yesterday. Let us gawk at it, shall we?
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 71
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)