Jul 13, 2013, 10:02 AM EDT
Raul Ibanez‘s incredible season continued last night against the Angels, as he went 3-for-4 with two home runs, a double, and three RBI as part of an 8-3 win.
Ibanez, who turned 41 last month, now has 24 home runs through just 71 games this season. And the power surge is putting him in some pretty select company for his age.
According to Baseball Reference, only six players (Barry Bonds did it twice) have hit more home runs in a season in their 40s. Darrell Evans is at the top of that list, as he hit 34 with the Tigers in his age-40 season in 1987. Only two players (including Bonds twice) have hit more in their age-41 season or later, with Ted Williams (29 home runs in 1960) leading the way. If Ibanez stays healthy, he has a legitimate chance to surpass all of them.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
In pinstripes no less.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
The only thing more painful than hitting rock bottom is thinking you’ve hit it, only to find out there’s still more room to sink.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
Ron Washington asked for forgiveness. He also raised more questions than he answered.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Among all American League hitters with at least 350 plate appearances this season Pearce ranks ranks fourth in OPS, behind only Mike Trout, Jose Abreu, and Victor Martinez.
Sep 18, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
“You support them until you don’t support them.”
Sep 18, 2014, 1:32 PM EDT
The Angels won their division in spite of all of those big free agent signings, not because of them.
Sep 18, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
After a strong first half Alex Rios has been injured and ineffective in the second half.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
There will be no more famous players.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
The game of minor league musical chairs continues.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
A revealing interview of a pretty complicated dude.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
It was sudden and unexpected. Today, presumably, Ron Washington’s resignation will be explained.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Because it shows us what Jeter means to real fans. It doesn’t tell us all what we’re supposed to feel.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
And he needed only 98 pitches to do it.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:12 AM EDT
The Angels beat the Mariners 5-0 on Wednesday night in Anaheim but had to wait a while to watch the A’s blow a ninth-inning lead against the Rangers before they could officially celebrate their clinching of the American League West championship. And several thousand Angels fans waited too. MLB.com has the video …
Sep 18, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
He pushes the Cardinals one step closer to the NL Central title. And pushes the fading Brewers another game back.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
Acting wisely, not acting quickly, is the only way to go.
Sep 18, 2014, 6:37 AM EDT
The Angels clinch, the A’s clench.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT
Yankees setup man Dellin Betances has broken a franchise record that Mariano Rivera set in 1996.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT
Watch as new Red Sox outfielder collects the first hit of his major league career Wednesday night at PNC Park on a hot shot that Pirates second baseman Neil Walker couldn’t quite handle …
Sep 17, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury hears that Phillies have “legitimate interest” in signing Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas, whose price tag is expected to top $100 million.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 28
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 47
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)